RVF Expert
RV Year
RV Make
Salem
RV Model
Hemisphere 346RK
RV Length
38'
Has anybody run Hwys 395 out of Reno, NV to 44 to 89 in California? I am thinking about heading that way in a month or so. One Atlas I have says they are approved for semis, so I should be OK with my 38' trailer that is also about 13' 4" tall. I haven't found any low clearances, so I should be good. Just curious as to what the roads are like and any recommendations.
Tom

Once you leave 395 at Susanville, it is all 2-lane state highway (or was some years back) until you get to I-5 at Mount Shasta. It is a twisty mountain highway and will be fairly slow going, but I don't recall any potential overhead clearance issues. As you said, it is frequently used by semi trucks. It will be slow going, however. Be sure to fuel up in Susanville because there won't be a lot of fuel options until you get to I-5.

That said, it certainly is not the route I would choose "in a month or so." That is some pretty serious snow country and while they do run snowplows over it, it is not a high priority route and there's a pretty good chance of a snow delay. YMMV

TJ

Havent run that particular stretch, but I lived in Lone Pine (off 395) and frequented Big Pine, Bishop and all the small towns along that strip of hwy. Also spent some time at Deep Springs (a liberal arts college) as my Grandmother and Grandfather both worked on the campus.

Loved it and miss it. Sure hope to get back that way again sometime.

Does any of this help you? Probably not, but I thought it was cool to hear someone mention an area of the USA that was close to where I used to live long ago.

Mountain Directory is a good online source for info on mountain roads and hazards as is the Facebook group Roads.

Sample of Mountain Directory. Each yellow triangle is a link to specific notes on that area.

1580828851317.png

Last edited:
I'm not too concerned about the time to travel those roads, but I was more concerned about the weather related part. Maybe I should find someplace to spend another month before I think about that route? Wife has never been in Oregon or Washington, and I would like to get her there. Not like our schedule is tight....... The place where we summer in Minnesota doesn't even open until the 15th of May......

Coast of California and Oregon is a great drive.

Well,,,,,,, I was told I may have changed my mind....... When I discussed the 'wait time' before we wouldn't have any snow along that route to be concerned about she decided we may wait until next fall for that part of the trip. Now I guess we want to explore southern Utah (which I have wanted to do for years!!).

Well,,,,,,, I was told I may have changed my mind....... When I discussed the 'wait time' before we wouldn't have any snow along that route to be concerned about she decided we may wait until next fall for that part of the trip. Now I guess we want to explore southern Utah (which I have wanted to do for years!!).
I plan on going this year to southern Utah as well. It’s been many years ago when we went. Loved arches, needles, painted rock, and others.

The last time I was in southern Utah was about 35 years ago in a semi. Gonna be like I have never been there before!! I really am looking forward to going!

Another question........ Anybody have a decent route besides I17, US85, & US160 to go from Casa Grande, AZ to the Four Corners area? I will be dragging a 38 foot fiver and don't know anything about a couple of two lane roads that head that general direction. Hills don't bother me much. I'm not gonna be headed that way for another month or so.

Latest resources

Back