Via
RV Length
Chassis
Sprinter
Engine
Diesel
Fulltimer
Yes
We were robbed of our life savings at the Love's Truck Stop in Lordsburg, NM on 2/14/22. A group of 4 or 5 were "passing out lottery winnings to fellow travelers." One of this group followed my husband into our motor home and entered uninvited. When the lockbox to our hidden safe was removed, the intruder grabbed it and fled. He and his companions disappeared, presumably onto I-10. Police were called, interviews with us and another victim and witnesses were done. However, chances of recovering our property are slim. We were parked in the Semi parking area. There were no surveillance cameras or security patrol. Please be aware that RVers can fall victim to these situations.

These two items dont make sense to me:

1. One of this group followed my husband into our motor home and entered uninvited.

2. When the lockbox to our hidden safe was removed, the intruder grabbed it and fled.

Obviously more to the story but I cant understand how this was allowed to occur.

Lost me too. Why was your husband getting into your lock box? I don't have a lockbox or a hidden safe. Is this a common RV thing that everyone knows about except me? Even common street thugs?

Deleted

Last edited:
I'm glad my RV doesn't have a lock box, much less with my life savings in it.

and 3:

“.....robbed of our life savings....”

Does anyone else carry their ”life savings” in their RV? Obviously a relative term, and I know some folks don’t like banks, but it still doesn't make sense to me.

Folks, I don't know if the story is true or not. Give the benefit of the doubt, if you don't have anything constructive to add to this thread or any for that matter, silence is the better option.

Folks, I don't know if the story is true or not. Give the benefit of the doubt, if you don't have anything constructive to add to this thread or any for that matter, silence is the better option.

I agree and I’m hoping for some clarification and want to understand how this could have happened. I see some shifty characters occasionally at fuel stops, but I don’t leave myself open to any issues or unwanted interactions with them. This story is full of warning signs and suspicious activity prior to the event occurring, and I have trouble understanding how it was allowed to escalate to this level.

Im also reminded of the couple who was murdered near Corpus Christi (Kleberg Beach) in 2019 after apparently letting their guard down with someone they encountered there while camping (boondocking on the beach). Ive never heard exactly how that situation developed but I did read that the suspect finally pled guilty to murder (and other charges) to avoid the death penalty.

Last edited:
It seems like it started out that the poster was being scammed into something with "lottery winnings" when one of the scammers saw the opportunity to forget the scam and just go straight to robbery. I think.
A month ago I would have said I couldn't imagine people normally pulling out their "life savings" at a fuel stop, here lately, well......

These two items dont make sense to me:

1. One of this group followed my husband into our motor home and entered uninvited.

2. When the lockbox to our hidden safe was removed, the intruder grabbed it and fled.

Obviously more to the story but I cant understand how this was allowed to occur.
We are not sure how this happened! There was a group offering "money for fuel". We made the bad decision to see what was going on. Apparently when my husband entered the motor home he did not close the door. We were tired from a long day driving and were not thinking clearly. These people were professional conmen and they got us .

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back