• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Robbery

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Well at least you weren’t hurt (or worse) in the exchange. I’ve been at that Love’s and it isnt in a bad area or any different than any other truck stop, but anything along the freeway serves all kinds, including criminals. I used to be more friendly and engaging but these days I keep to myself, do my own thing and move on, and always with a heightened sense of (situational) awareness. Sad state of affairs but thats the way it is.

I've been approached at gas stations (not truck stops) about 3 times now. Make sure you lock your door and always think safety!

I've been approached at gas stations (not truck stops) about 3 times now. Make sure you lock your door and always think safety!
I have seen some of this too (I guess most of us have) and I walk right by them, into the store, and ask the staff if they are aware of whats going on outside. They always seem appreocative, say they will call law enforcement, and usually the person(s) are gone when I come back out. They seem to have a pretty good sense for what’s going on around them.

I also dont leave the coach unlocked, even when just fueling, because I usually fuel up on the drivers side and cant see the door from where Im standing. Its easy enough to just get in the habit and then you have less to worry about.

I had about 10 years in law enforcement during my fire career, have had a lot of training, have the means to protect myself and all that, but the best protection is prevention and the last thing I want to do is engage in an altercation.

You are wise. My Class C catalytic converter was stolen and replaced with an undersized cheap replacement. I had an alarm wired into my rig so i can sleep at night now. Thank goodness i had insurance, which paid more than $3k to repair it many miles from where i bought the RV. I was out $1k for motel and other expenses. It took me weeks before i could get someone to even look at it. They told me it would take three months to get to it. Fortunately i stumbled into a customer relations person.who helped me. Your post could help many people.

hmmm...never thought about locking up when refueling. But it does take awhile and I am on the drivers side...I'll have to rethink that. About the catalytic converters...anyone source a cover (cage or deterrent device) for Newmar gassers ?

For years and years, Women are told to lock the car when fueling. Why? Cus our purse is in the front passenger seat. Easy grab....

For years and years, Women are told to lock the car when fueling. Why? Cus our purse is in the front passenger seat. Easy grab....
hmmm...never thought about locking up when refueling. But it does take awhile and I am on the drivers side...I'll have to rethink that. About the catalytic converters...anyone source a cover (cage or deterrent device) for Newmar gassers ?
I hadnt either until an incident a couple years ago. Nothing came of it, but Im pretty sure my intervention prevented an issue. Since then I’ve seen enough unacceptable behavior during fuel stops, and read about enough incidents invloving RV’ers and those inclined towards criminal behavior, to conclude that prevention, including avoiding the creation of an attractive nuisance, is the most positive and proactive thing you can do to avoid loss or an altercation.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back