• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Problem Round 2. ding ding

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Would be nice if Newmar provided the Stage 8 kits as a service bulletin upgrade to avoid this common problem. Funny how these big corporations think. Cheaper to pay a few warranty claims for the first year and wash thier hands of the issue and charge full freight to repair a failure after the warranty period. Instead I would think a high quality coach company would want to do what would be reasonable to ensure trouble free operation for the owner to ensure future brand loyalty! I would rather have received a stage 8 bolt kit as a thank you for buying a Dutch Star rather than two free jackets that they got the size wrong anyway!

Would be nice if Newmar provided the Stage 8 kits as a service bulletin upgrade to avoid this common problem. Funny how these big corporations think. Cheaper to pay a few warranty claims for the first year and wash thier hands of the issue and charge full freight to repair a failure after the warranty period. Instead I would think a high quality coach company would want to do what would be reasonable to ensure trouble free operation for the owner to ensure future brand loyalty! I would rather have received a stage 8 bolt kit as a thank you for buying a Dutch Star rather than two free jackets that they got the size wrong anyway!
Yeah but, ... I'm sure a package of 3 on a coach would increase the price by at least $1000.00:sneaky:

@Richpatty the only thing you forgot is how to find that dang clip when it Flys away instead of sliding into place.

About 20% of my time was spent searching for the sprung spring clip.
When I was doing mechanical work in another life, we used to call them "damn it" clips. Every time you try to install one, they seem to fly away causing their name to escape your mouth.:ROFLMAO:

Ever considered safety wire? Used all over on aircraft. Buy bolts with the holes.
Being the material is cast, there is a good possibility of over torquing. I also see what looks like additional mounting holes in the casting. You might want to use those as well to spread the load if you could.

Attachments

• F21DFD57-4835-4989-B6BB-E4107CF648C0.png
    F21DFD57-4835-4989-B6BB-E4107CF648C0.png
    52.1 KB · Views: 5
Looking at mine, I'm guessing it disconnects at the two bushings either side of the gear box, but it would need to have enough room to slide and have the coupling on the left in the picture clear the bracket. How does that happen when it's also in line with the other end of the shaft? Looks to me like it's captured between the two output shafts, and I don't see them moving. Also, does anyone know the torque and (I'm assuming crows foot adapter) size?View attachment 16224
Yes I have take apart. Those large 1 1/2" bolts need to be loosened up to take apart. And if like mine they were tuff to break loose. Pipe wrench to hold the bar and long open end to break loose the nut. If i can remember it torques to125lbs. loosening those are also what you do when your motor goes out to push the slide in manually. I think the motor bolts torque to 75lbs. Newmar service can tell. Good luck

Motor mounting bolt torque for 5/16 bolt (half inch head) is 19 fp per Newmar

Checked mine as I do every year and as with every year, the bolts were a quarter to half turn loose. I installed the nord-lock lock washers a couple years ago. Didn't make much if any difference.

I did a search on Amazon for "Newmar Slide Motors" and got several hits. Is the one you need. It's only 350 dollars I say only because I seem people quote a lot more from Newmar.

That looks the same, but the part number has an "A" before the last 3 numbers and the one I need according to Newmar has an "E". I haven't had much time searching the difference yet, but I'm checking tonight. If it would work, it's about a third the price from Newmar. Thanks!

Latest resources

Back