• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Routing question

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Thanks TJ, I'm a pretty proud dad! Thanks all here for your insight and recommendations. We've managed to miss the heart of Texas in past trips out west, so we wanted to experience it this year. Can't wait to hit the road!

Your fort myers route to the DFW area is the way I take it as well.

DFW to Phoenix, I usually take a huge detour thru ABQ, so I take 287 North to Amarillo, or take alterante routes thru carlsbad, as long as I end up in ABQ for my fix of Gardunos and the Christmas Sauce.

Phoenix to Yakima is the route I typically take in the RV.

I have driven many times from Tn to Salem Or and used I70 and I80. Both are fine. If you use I70 you will go through a toll area to get around Denver. Not bad. Taking I25 north can be crowded depending on rush hour, but we love going through Hwy 287. Beautiful views.

I70 or I80 route would be fine.

Can I go with you, looks like a great trip. A couple of comments regarding the Texas section.

We have stayed at the KOA in Shreveport and be very mindful of the huge pine trees it's a little tight.
If you're just passing through DFW I'd stay either east or west of the metroplex depending on what time of day you get here. Terrell or Weatherford
It would be a big day (350 miles) but leave Shreveport, should be in DFW midday and then to Abilene. We really like the Whistle Stop RV in Abilene. The Perini Ranch Steakhouse in Buffalo Gap is excellent, you'll love the atmosphere.
If you have Harvest Host both Big Spring and Midland have great places. Van Horn has a nice place called Mt View RVP.
Grew up in El Paso and still have family there. When we go we stay at the El Paso West RVP (behind Camping World). If your just passing thru I would look at the Hacienda in Cruces. Go to La Posta in old Mesilla great Mexican food.

P.S.

If you do not have the TSD Logistics Fuel card I would strongly recommend it.

It is a fuel discount fleet card. Not a credit card, not a debit card. They do an ACH a couple of days after you fuel and send you a receipt, very good fuel discounts. Lots of info on here and IRV2.

Yup, we've stayed at Shreveport KOA in '18, and yes I do have a TDS card. We saved a boatload last year with it. Paid 1.40 up in Alabama, not expecting those prices again tho... Thanks for all the TX tips! We are scheduled to pass through DFW on a Sunday. I always figure Atlanta for Sunday mornings so I stayed with that for DFW.

Yup, we've stayed at Shreveport KOA in '18, and yes I do have a TDS card. We saved a boatload last year with it. Paid 1.40 up in Alabama, not expecting those prices again tho... Thanks for all the TX tips! We are scheduled to pass through DFW on a Sunday. I always figure Atlanta for Sunday mornings so I stayed with that for DFW.
Atlanta on a sunday is far worse than DFW on any weekday, any hour!! You will be just fine in DFW.

Just keep in mind on Sundays, the freeways are less busy, so its "Race Day"!!!

We just came back from Louisiana a few weeks ago. The difference in Fuel prices from last October and now is almost $.80 a gallon. Why, Why, Why

I have driven many times from Tn to Salem Or and used I70 and I80. Both are fine. If you use I70 you will go through a toll area to get around Denver. Not bad. Taking I25 north can be crowded depending on rush hour, but we love going through Hwy 287. Beautiful views.

I70 or I80 route would be fine.
If you are coming I-70 West you will not pay tolls if you take I-270 West. It goes southeast northwest, it is a 7 mile long freeway and you end up on I-25 North. Yes, do not take it after 3 p.m. because it is a very slow go.
word of caution be very very careful when you drive I-25 North between Longmont and Fort Collins. Two lane highway on each side but very very fast. Lots of accidents happen in that stretch. Leave a lot of space between you and the car in front of you. Folks drive way too fast on that stretch of highway.

El Paso route Plan B

Sometimes I-10 thru El Paso can be a mess, there is a Plan B

As you come into El Paso from Van Horn there is a Loop 375 that goes around to the east, take it all the way to US 54. (You can go straight but you'll have to climb the mountain and come down the other side.)
Turn north on 54 a few miles, as it bends NE exit and drive up MLK Blvd to NM 404 just across the TX/NM line.
Turn west on 404 to I-10.
404 is what we called Anthony Gap road growing up, it is a low spot (pass) in the mountain and you'll barely notice the rise and fall.
We've done I-10 many times and 375/404 many times if I-10 is a mess.

Latest resources

Back