RV Year
RV Make
Forest River
RV Model
Gray Wolf
RV Length
Fulltimer
No
I read a article yesterday that if I have AC running not to run hot water heater on electric at the same time, and switch to gas for hot water,We will be in electric camp sites mostly, this is a Forest River 2017 17 foot.I haven't had a chance to get numbers on the heater and AC. We are new to using a shower in a trailer, we are fed up with using the public shower in most camping grounds, this has a on demand system.

Never heard that before but I'm sure someone with more experience will weigh in if there's anything to it.

I read a article yesterday that if I have AC running not to run hot water heater on electric at the same time, and switch to gas for hot water,We will be in electric camp sites mostly, this is a Forest River 2017 17 foot.I haven't had a chance to get numbers on the heater and AC. We are new to using a shower in a trailer, we are fed up with using the public shower in most camping grounds, this has a on demand system.
Is on demand tank less!?! Element in the standard heater is typically 1500-watt. It is much higher in a tank less unit, if it is useful for showing. Basically 1500-watt has a dedicated 20 amp circuit in house installations, if permanently installed.

Of course they may figure low flow into their equation!

Thanks, the article says it may trip a breaker, I'll check when the weather is warmer (May) and see if they are on the same breaker, but why are they on the same breaker in the first place if they are?

Thanks, the article says it may trip a breaker, I'll check when the weather is warmer (May) and see if they are on the same breaker, but why are they on the same breaker in the first place if they are?
It's more about limited shore power, not the single circuit!

If you have a 30 amp system, that is the limiting factor. It does not matter which breaker in the panel it is on, it is the total draw. This is why a 50 amp system is much better. Is the tankless heater electric? Most are gas.

Most likely your TT has a 30 amp electric service. That equates to 3600 watts. The electric heating element on the water heater is 1440 watts. A 12.5K BTU AC will require 2100 watts running and about 2600 watts starting. And there are other items requiring power such as the converter. Depending on battery status and other 12-volt items being used, it will require 300 to 800 watts. A microwave about 1200 to 1500 watts.

Add the watts of the items being used and you'll see that it is easy to get to the 3600 watt limit and the point circuit breakers begin to trip. The secret to enjoyable and trouble-free camping is "POWER MANAGEMENT".

We prefer to use LP for heating water. It is faster and places only a little demand on the electrical system. The control panel for the water heater and the refrigerator operating on LP are powered by the 12-volt battery/converter system.

Bob

Latest resources

Back