Chassis
F550
Engine
Titan V10
TOW/TOAD
2020 Polaris Slingshot
Fulltimer
No
This will be my first time boondocking this weekend. Going to watch the Talladega race ans staying at a free, no services campground.
Question; would you run your gas generator while away for 3/4 hrs?

It's bad etiquette! That said I saw a portable catch fire while we were in our neighbors rv one day. Had we not seen the light and investigated, the tree he had it chained to would likely have started the forest on fire.

It's bad etiquette! That said I saw a portable catch fire while we were in our neighbors rv one day. Had we not seen the light and investigated, the tree he had it chained to would likely have started the forest on fire.
My first inclination was not to run it. Safety first, but I wanted to double check.

Is this in your coach or a stand alone unit from a big box store? I would imagine a four pole (low speed) Onan or similar installed in the coach with lots of insulation, safety protection and a substantial muffler would be better received than a chinesium screamer for hours at a time.

Is this in your coach or a stand alone unit from a big box store? I would imagine a four pole (low speed) Onan or similar installed in the coach with lots of insulation, safety protection and a substantial muffler would be better received than a chinesium screamer for hours at a time.
It's not just the noise! The fumes are just as objectionable.

The way I hear it around the camp fire goes like this

That blankidy blank doesn't want to hear it but doesn't care about anyone else.

Not my opinion, well maybe! But all walks that see it as "me not thee" mentality. @BGMAC asked a concerned question, my hat goes off to him!👍👍👍

It’s an Onan 5500 in the RV. Pretty quiet. The Rv parks (12 of them) are at Talladega Raceway. It’s going to be noisy and mostly by the fans more then the generators. Some have quiet time starting at midnight to 6am, but most do not. I recognize it will be noisy and will accept that as part of the experience for couple days. I have excellent ear plugs for the race and sleep if need be. :).
I’m really more concerned about safety, fire, etc. if I were in a more family orientated park where people are there to relax and enjoy the area, see the sunsets, listen to nature, I would run the generator at times that would not bother anyone. I’ll take pics and update my experience next week.

I guess it partially depends on the pad you are on. Do they have you parked on dry grass or gravel?

Most people that travel with pets have their generators set to auto start and if their coach loses power while they are away, the generator starts to keep the AC running in the summer.

I can see fumes being an issue and I'm guessing at the race, RVs are probably packed in fairly tight? Seems they would plan accordingly less so for generators but more for intoxicated fire starting where it shouldn't be and where it definitely doesn't need to spread!

Yes, pictures! Pictures are always a good thing. When my boys get a little older, they need to see Talladega in person.

My coach is programmed to run the GEN when it's needed such as for A/C etc. I have no problems with it running when away from the coach as it manages temps and battery. Now if you have a loud non quiet gen like my neighbor had at the EAA Oshkosh airshow right outside my bedroom it may develop 9mm sized leaks in it while away so use wisely. :oops:

Almost all the spots will be grass. Not too dry as we have had rain just a few days ago. It would be nice to have the auto start function. I am anticipating the areas being crowed. On the paid areas there are assigned spaces 20X40 or 20X50. On the free spots it's a free for all in an open field is the way i take it.

Latest resources

Back