Chassis
Prevost
Engine
Volvo D13
TOW/TOAD
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Fulltimer
No
I ask this question with great hesitation because it stirs passionate debate about everyones favorite GPS. Has anyone tried the RV life GPS that is integrated with RV Trip Wizard? It’s a relatively new addition to their platform and curious about how they route RV’s and how it might be different than how Garmin or Copilot do it today.

I'm not familiar with it, do you have a link to information about it?

I use a Garmin 770 and am pleased with it.

I’m currently subscribed to RVTW, and as Premium in the RV LIFE App and testing.

Neal,

It’s part of the premium subscription level of the RV LIFE app. And, the RV life app synchronizes with the online version of RV trip wizard. So, the trips that are created with RV trip wizard sync over to the app.

The secret is to get the discount of the premium services, you must subscribe to the RV trip wizard first and then the app second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain, what is your take on the RV life routing capabilities? I have a garmin 770 today like many do and I would be hard pressed to give it up since I had a bad experience with copilot once and feel more confident with the Garmin. However, I would like to consolidate the number of devices/apps/screens i have in front of me someday....

I think it’s too early to advise you to ditch the Garmin in lieu of any online nav, even though there are some nice advantages.

Having used a dozen Garmins and other GPS units over decades, I still find it hard to give them up, given their long and proven history.

That said, Garmin units can be frustrating and archaic in many respects. For that reason, I’m excited to give RV Life’s RV Navigation some testing. It’s a very young and under-developed platform compared to the Garmin and I’m not confident yet with it’s routing and hazard avoidance. However, the multi device capability along with the power of constant updating via internet is awesome. Being able to download maps may prove RV Life app to be a serious GPS contender even when no internet is available.

The 770 is the best Garmin at the moment. The 785 was horrific with its Android backbone. The Dashcam provides useless video, and it must be mounted on the windshield and is too hard to reach. So I got rid of it.

To my surprise, Garmin just informed me that the 780 shares the same Android software and issues as the 785, so until I can prove otherwise, I can’t jump onto that one at this time. Darn it.

One of the BIGGEST issues has been Trip Planning with external software. If this isn’t something that is a requirement, then the issues aren’t as dramatic.

So, while I share your desire to keep dash clutter to a minimum, I’m still “reserving” a spot for a dedicated GPS. Now, on the other hand, if money is no object, don’t forget you can buy a Kenwood radio with the Garmin RV Nav built in. A bunch more money than the stancard version, but it’s a thought. Currently, I use a Kenwood with the standard Garmin Nav as my backup/auxiliary unit.

I hope this helps you with some of my experience and thoughts. Stay tuned!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back