Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

RV Newbie trying to get internet (Satellite, etc)

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
My wife and camped in the AZ mountains last year for five days and I knew this location had no service going in. I thought it would be good to unplug for a while. Well, we were miserable – I realized I’m hopelessly addicted to connectivity now. Sad but true. I really hope you find something that works for you during that time and that you let us know how it went.
I must admit it's a bit irritating that I have to even ask the original question, but it's the reality of today. My wife is in sales and not being able to at least respond to an email within a timely fashion could mean the difference between a commission or not. I'm going to try a few different options and will report back.

FWIW the website for Headwaters campground does state "Cellular coverage may be available nearby, depending on location and carrier." That sounds as if you don't really have to drive 30 miles to access the internet. IMHO if you're serious about maintaining connectivity you need to have service from all three of the major cellular providers.

This one could be an option to get a good cell signal and from there you hook up to your hot spot off of your phone. Lots of reviews in Youtube. It is expensive. Easy to install and does boost your signal 50dB but you have to do a little homework before you get to the campsite to know where the closest cell tower for your provider is located. There is an app called OpenSignal that gives you the bearing on where the tower is located. Then, if you and your wife have different carriers, you will have to do the same with her carrier. Many times those towers will be located on different bearings. All this is to eliminate the guesswork of orienting the antenna to pick up the cell signal once you are at the campsite.
A booster can't make a cell signal out of nothing. There are limitations with this system. Your antenna has to pick at least a very weak signal to amplify it. Most of the time you will not be able to pickup a cell signal from your phone but when you install this directional antenna on the 25ft. mast it DOES pick it up and amplifies it.
A challenge to overcome if you want to stay married and not be sent to the doghouse is to keep her connectivity if you have yours. Since I decided to stay married, I turn the antenna (it is a directional antenna for maximum gain) for my device once she is done with her emails/texts/phone calls. Keep in mind that if you leave the system running all the time it draws about 0.5A @ 12DCV.
It is not the best solution. I am sure other folks have different opinions about this issue.

I'm not sure where you see that, but I'm getting my information directly from the main site. Maybe I'm missing something. I also checked out your campgroundreviews.com website and most of the reviews state "no cell service or wifi." It may be as simple as a quick drive in one direction, but I'm still working on a work-around.

This one could be an option to get a good cell signal and from there you hook up to your hot spot off of your phone. Lots of reviews in Youtube. It is expensive. Easy to install and does boost your signal 50dB but you have to do a little homework before you get to the campsite to know where the closest cell tower for your provider is located. There is an app called OpenSignal that gives you the bearing on where the tower is located. Then, if you and your wife have different carriers, you will have to do the same with her carrier. Many times those towers will be located on different bearings. All this is to eliminate the guesswork of orienting the antenna to pick up the cell signal once you are at the campsite.
A booster can't make a cell signal out of nothing. There are limitations with this system. Your antenna has to pick at least a very weak signal to amplify it. Most of the time you will not be able to pickup a cell signal from your phone but when you install this directional antenna on the 25ft. mast it DOES pick it up and amplifies it.
A challenge to overcome if you want to stay married and not be sent to the doghouse is to keep her connectivity if you have yours. Since I decided to stay married, I turn the antenna (it is a directional antenna for maximum gain) for my device once she is done with her emails/texts/phone calls. Keep in mind that if you leave the system running all the time it draws about 0.5A @ 12DCV.
It is not the best solution. I am sure other folks have different opinions about this issue.

Thanks Pablo. I'll look into that.

I must admit it's a bit irritating that I have to even ask the original question, but it's the reality of today. My wife is in sales and not being able to at least respond to an email within a timely fashion could mean the difference between a commission or not. I'm going to try a few different options and will report back.
Hughes used to have portable equipment. It is slow to browse but an internet phone setup should get you phone connected. All you need is a clear view of southern sky.

Latest resources

Back