London Aire 4595 FL SL605
RV Length
Chassis
FL
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
Jeep Wrangler
For a couple of nights we stayed at the Big Texan Ranch Amarillo, all though the park appears fairly old we were assigned spot 208 in the new section of the park. Pulled in and hooked up my SurgeGuard to the pedestal and all appeared to be good , L1 126V, L2 125V. At about 11pm my coach shut down so I went out to check my SurgeGuard and fount it had tripped due to over voltage. I reset it and waited for the delay time and observed L1 at 130V and L2 131V. I then took my SurgeGuard over to another Pedestal in my section, the same reading were observed and the guard tripped.
Here is the real point of this post, I also observed several other big rigs parked near me, they all had surge guards from various manufacturers, THEY WERE STILL ON. So I looked online and found that many surge products only indicate but don’t trip! In my opinion this is not very good. The surge guard that Newmar installs will trip at 132Volts or more.
BTW I made the park aware of this and they said they would get it fixed that day, next night the same thing happened , WE PACKED UP AND LEFT.

I've seen this once or twice, always placed blame on the electric company. Nothing you can really do about this sadly but leave or disconnect and run GEN or boondock in your full hookup highly paid site :(

That’s the part of traveling that is most stressful. Going to a park that has good reviews (taken with small grain of salt) pictures and google earth indicate you can maneuver around inside without hitting branches. As much as I prefer an in and out situation inside a park, sometimes parking somewhere safe and running the generator is a better option. Those have their drawbacks too but at least your electrical isn’t compromised.

I've seen this once or twice, always placed blame on the electric company. Nothing you can really do about this sadly but leave or disconnect and run GEN or boondock in your full hookup highly paid site :(
Exactly what they did, said it was the provider

What does cause an over current?

I did disconnect and was able to run one AC on lithium battery. At least the living room was cool

Good opportunity to exercise the GEN (esp under warranty) and yours is so quiet no one would hear it, and it's the CG's fault anyways.

What does cause an over current?
Over current,is not the same as over voltage!

Your Auto transformer is designed after a boost transformer. What you see here is the effect of lower current draw at night while the power grid is designed to handle the day time sag caused by many demanding RVs. Power companies build for the demand expected, and that is what they did.

Pick your poison!!!

P.S. most of today's electronics is designed to work on 100-250 volts, due to the global market. In the day of transformer power supplies the high voltage could more easily be destroyed(electronics). Today that is not as big an issue.

It is likely your A/C Will run more efficiently at the higher voltage your seeing with very little to no degrading of life expectancy. On the other end of the scale,low voltage puts higher demand on the equipment!!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back