Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

RV water pressure regulators: Fixed flow rate or adjustable?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
When I had my DS, I always used my water pump too until the last year or so. Thanks for reminding me. I've been using city water on the LA, but after I read your post I turned on my water pump and turned the autofill on. I'm thinking they need some exercise. 😂
I changed my settings to auto refill at 20% so that I cycle my tank water more often. Next time you are at NIRVC or Newmar you may want them to change it. You can always use the top off to refill at anytime.

The standard settings where 85%, which left a lot of water in the tank.

When I had my DS, I always used my water pump too until the last year or so. Thanks for reminding me. I've been using city water on the LA, but after I read your post I turned on my water pump and turned the autofill on. I'm thinking they need some exercise. 😂
I think you are right about the exercise. On my old Forester, the pump would begin to leak, if it was nott used for extended periods. When I started using it every7 month the leak went away. I think like many motors with seals, if not used, the seals dry out. I usually keep the FW ~ 2/3 full, then every month or so use up the water by running the put. This keeps relatively fresh water in the tank and keeps the pump working nicely. Supposedly, the washer will run better using the pump ( I think it is rated at 60 psi), when park water pressure is low.

As a follow up several months after installing a fixed pressure (55 psi) water pressure regulator, four thumbs up!! This is definitely the way to go, the water pressure has been perfect at all places that can supply decent water pressure. Not having something to fiddle with is also a good thing. After switching to this it's also apparent to me that if you have an adjustable water pressure regulator, it should be set ONCE and never touched again. Once you establish your desired water pressure such as 55 psi it doesn't matter if your source is over your set value then your set pressure will always be used. Having to adjust a water pressure regulator at any and every campground is incorrect. Set your pressure when you are lucky to have a source pressure above your set point and then it should never need to be touched again which I don't think people realize. Water pressure regulators are not something that need adjustment. Once set it's set.

I also have an adjustable one like in the OP's first pic. Piece of crap as far as I'm concerned. Mine will not stay at the adjusted flow; constantly fluctuating. I've tested it at various locations. After buying, I immediately went back to the fixed rate one. Works perfectly and fairly cheap. Set at 40lbs. as instructed by somebody I can't remember. :unsure: I'm really surprised at the one who set at 60. Maybe newer RVs w/pex piping or something?

As a follow up several months after installing a fixed pressure (55 psi) water pressure regulator, four thumbs up!! This is definitely the way to go, the water pressure has been perfect at all places that can supply decent water pressure. Not having something to fiddle with is also a good thing. After switching to this it's also apparent to me that if you have an adjustable water pressure regulator, it should be set ONCE and never touched again. Once you establish your desired water pressure such as 55 psi it doesn't matter if your source is over your set value then your set pressure will always be used. Having to adjust a water pressure regulator at any and every campground is incorrect. Set your pressure when you are lucky to have a source pressure above your set point and then it should never need to be touched again which I don't think people realize. Water pressure regulators are not something that need adjustment. Once set it's set.
Absolutely correct! Thank you!

Latest resources

Back