Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I'd love to hear of experiences of those RVing with stacker trailers. As I was driving from Prescott to Flagstaff today I was thinking of how limiting a stacker trailer may be in finding campgrounds or the cost to camp. Do you typically have to pay for two sites? Are you restricted to campgrounds that have 80 ft sites? What are the pro's and con's of RVing with a stacker for those that want to share.

I would want to be able to take my lifted jeep and my bmw m3. What kind of interior height can you get with stackers? I can easily fit my jeep under the BMW in my shop, using a 2 post lift, and that's 12ft max height. 10ft should be plenty.

Any pics of someone who does this? Of course @Neal 's questions must be answered in a way that validates this is a feasible plan too.

Last edited:
Until about 18 months ago we were full timing pulling our 24' enclosed, which due to the extended tongue and V-nose actually ended up being closer to 30' long. When hooked up we were getting close to the 80' length. My buddy, who we occasionally travel with and are parked next to in AL currently, has a 43' Tiffin pulling a 28' aluminum enclosed with extended tongue that measures just over 30'. Another buddy of ours from TN has a 44' DP and pulls a stacker.

None of us have ever had issues finding campsites, but you have to plan ahead and do a little homework also. Not only do you need to 100% confirm a targeted campground has sites you can fit in but you have to look at the roads leading to said campground to see if there are any corners or others obstructions that would be an issue.

My buddy with the stacker hauls a corvette (raised) and a Lincoln SUV and golf cart under that. In the front of his stacker he has a pretty nice work bench set up with cabinets. Really towing a stacker isn't any different that a long enclosed trailer, except for the added weight, especially the higher tongue weight on some of them.

I'd love to hear of experiences of those RVing with stacker trailers. As I was driving from Prescott to Flagstaff today I was thinking of how limiting a stacker trailer may be in finding campgrounds or the cost to camp. Do you typically have to pay for two sites? Are you restricted to campgrounds that have 80 ft sites? What are the pro's and con's of RVing with a stacker for those that want to share.
Neal I only responded because I want to follow this. My set-up requires pay for two at state parks. 3 trailers 2 trucks.

Neal I only responded because I want to follow this. My set-up requires pay for two at state parks. 3 trailers 2 trucks.
No worries. Anyone that wants to follow a thread a reply is not required, you can just tap WATCH on the upper right of the thread. FYI

As a couple others mentioned, we also don’t have a stacker but do pull a 24’ trailer that is total length of 28’+. Behind our 45’ coach it does take some space and requires planning. There are campgrounds where we cannot fit but so far we have been able to visit every area we want. The northeast of the US is our next area to visit and it does appear to be more challenging than the expansive western areas. Some campgrounds have a separate area where a trailer can be parked. We do have an alarm system and series of quality locks on the trailer to make it a difficult target for thieves.

There are pros and cons. Biggest pro is we can bring the car we want and not have to restrict ourselves to a very small subset of “toads”. Downsize is more planning is required.

Hoping to see pics and read some stacker experiences.

Here is an example of how we can tuck ourselves into a 60’+ long spot but is 36’ wide. 39DD486B-CBCF-4588-B468-44FF204727FF.jpeg

There are pros and cons. Biggest pro is we can bring the car we want and not have to restrict ourselves to a very small subset of “toads”. Downsize is more planning is required.

View attachment 6134
First, great looking rig you have there!!
Second, the FMCA just came out with their annual list of TOADS. I made the RV magazine 5 times thicker!!! Maybe 25-30 pages of TOADS aavailable. That's hardly a small subset.

Latest resources

Back