Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

RVing with Tito - BOONDOCKING with LITHIUM vs AGM - Which is Better?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
And for my coach it's very incomplete, I typically have to email Joe G in Newmar parts for help.

So I have been exchanging emails with battleborn about if I changed to lithium in my 2017 Ventana. I am probably not a good candidate as I don’t boondock very much and it seems most appropriate for those who. Even better if you have solar it seems from that video @Neal posted. I was interested in learning more so this is a condensed version of the emails.

Thanks for contacting Battle Born! We will want to check the compatibility of your rig’s charging components. Four of our 100ah 12v Battle Born batteries will be very close to the usable capacity of your current bank. Five of our batteries would increase the capacity from your current reserve.

Most Newmar’s are equipped with a BIRD and solenoid relay for alternator charging. This will need to be swapped out for a Lithium Isolator (LiBIM) in order to protect the alternator from overworking. The LiBIM is recommended if you are using 3+ Battle Born batteries.

LiFePO4 Battery Isolation Manager - Battle Born Batteries

To replace your (8) 6 volt batteries, you would need 5 of our 12v 100ah batteries.

Reasoning:

8 – 6v 225ah GC2 batteries in a series/parallel connection create a 12v 900ah bank, but with a 50% discharge floor, you have a usable 450ah reserve.

5 – 12v 100ah Battle Born batteries in parallel create a 12v 500ah bank with a 100% usable reserve.

For the Magnum inverter/charger, you should have a Magnum Remote inside of the coach. Go to Setup, Battery Type, and see if you can select the CC/CV setting, or possibly a custom setting.

FWIW.

I have 8 battle born for over a year now. Have worked great.

Attachments

• 8758411C-E4A3-400E-ABBD-8C673CD7B9D5.jpeg
    8758411C-E4A3-400E-ABBD-8C673CD7B9D5.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 29
And this is why @CoreyinWP locks his basements

@CoreyinWP are you one of brave ones that did it yourself or did a shop do it for you? Beautiful job.

Thanks Sheridan!

I did the installation with inspiration from @Neal and a lot of great advice from @Chuggs . It was a lot of fun,,,,I had never done anything like it before.

Latest resources

Back