Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Schwintek slide repair quoted excessive labor hours?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

N Nevada

RVF Newbee
RV Year
RV Make
Jayco
RV Model
Redhawk
RV Length
Chassis
Ford E450
Engine
V8
Fulltimer
No
Anyone here pay for a Schwintek slide system rebuild through a service center? We purchased a like new Jayco in May with only 3,000 miles on it As-Is from a dealer in California. Two months into it, we started having problems with the slide, first not opening at all and now won't close entirely at the bottom front corner. Motors work, but we believe due to rough roads we broke a guide block and/or stripped gears assisting it out. Took it to our local Jayco authorized CW dealer for estimate and repairs and they're quoting us 12 hours to pull and replace the H-column and components. We had to pay half up front for them to order the parts. I expressed I was concerned the cost seemed high compared to forums we've seen online, and you-tube videos showing 3-5 hour repairs. Even though it is out of warranty, I found a flat-rate chart from Lippert showing minimal hours 2.2 and followed up with a call to them. I was told they give the dealer 3.6 total per SLIDE on warranty repairs. The local dealer responded he cannot give any more explanation to the number of hours, just wants me to schedule the repairs and maybe I'll be able to speak with the technician. Our unit is a 27' Class C with a full side slide including bed and dinette. Any collaborating experiences would be appreciated!

I would suggest investing in a service call from a mobile tech to verify what's wrong with the slide. Some have found Camping World to be quite pricey on their service work.

Anyone here pay for a Schwintek slide system rebuild through a service center? We purchased a like new Jayco in May with only 3,000 miles on it As-Is from a dealer in California. Two months into it, we started having problems with the slide, first not opening at all and now won't close entirely at the bottom front corner. Motors work, but we believe due to rough roads we broke a guide block and/or stripped gears assisting it out. Took it to our local Jayco authorized CW dealer for estimate and repairs and they're quoting us 12 hours to pull and replace the H-column and components. We had to pay half up front for them to order the parts. I expressed I was concerned the cost seemed high compared to forums we've seen online, and you-tube videos showing 3-5 hour repairs. Even though it is out of warranty, I found a flat-rate chart from Lippert showing minimal hours 2.2 and followed up with a call to them. I was told they give the dealer 3.6 total per SLIDE on warranty repairs. The local dealer responded he cannot give any more explanation to the number of hours, just wants me to schedule the repairs and maybe I'll be able to speak with the technician. Our unit is a 27' Class C with a full side slide including bed and dinette. Any collaborating experiences would be appreciated!
I bought a 2020 Tiffin Allegro Red 340 with less than 4K miles in August. I have had 2 Schwintek slide motors already replaced, no warranty. I paid about 3.2 hours per slide motor. So your quotes sound reasonable.

I would suggest investing in a service call from a mobile tech to verify what's wrong with the slide. Some have found Camping World to be quite pricey on their service work.
I agree and there are quite a few RV repair outfits and mobile techs in Reno. CW is probably the last place I’d go.

Latest resources

Back