Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Resolved Servo moves the dump valve but no drainage happens.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Av8r

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Superstar
RV Length
40’
Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins L9
TOW/TOAD
Jeep Gladiator
Fulltimer
No
This one has me stumped. I attempted to dump my black tank. The switch lights up, I can hear a servo running, but no dumping happens. So, I tried the gray tank. Same exact thing... switch lights up, servo noises, no dump.

The manufacturer of the switches is Valterra. There is a reset "button" below each dump switch,which I pushed, but have very little confidence that anything happened.(And, since I hear the servos, I assume that my problem is not electrical.)

So I removed the access panel in the wet bay that allows you to see behind the stainless steel back wall of the bay. Now, I can see the servo physically moving the black tank's blade valve, , but still no dumping is happening. (The gray valve is buried somewhere far away, so I can't visually verify that the gray valve is being moved by the servo.

Any ideas? (2021 Newmar SuperStar)

Attachments

• IMG_0921.jpg
    IMG_0921.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 6
As easy as that appears to be opening and closing my guess is it's disconnected from the actual gate valve itself. Is there an override in this system anywhere to manually open/close the gate?

I agree that the movement seems very smooth.
But this would seem to imply that the hidden end of the rod has separated from the actual blade.

Since the other valve is acting exactly the same, it seems unlikely that two valves would fail in the same (unlikely) manner at the same moment.

Im trying to come up with a logical way for this to be either a venting problem, or a clog in the common area downstream of both shutoff valves.
But in either case, it seems like SOME liquid would drain, and I’m getting precisely zero drainage.

I’ve been living a charmed life with this coach since the initial new coach issues, so maybe it’s time to call in a mobile pro for the first time!

I watched your video so many times, it's really hard to say. It almost looked like a metal gate valve vs the typical plastic. All the servo is doing is pulling and pushing the handle. If you can access it you could remove the servo part and try it by hand to feel what's going on.

I can't quite figure out the arrangement from your video. Can you take a pic of your wet bay and show where these gate valves are located? Typically they are not far from the wye valve which is what you connect a 3 inch sewer hose to.

Edit: I see from your attached picture the location of your gate valve. Just very odd placement I guess but not familiar with the Superstar and it's plumbing.

Yeah, the SuperStar’s plumbing schematic is not likely to become a major selling point for Newmar anytime soon😢

Here’s a view from a little further out. Between the black tank shutoff and the hose connection are only a couple of elbows.

I disconnected the servo and manually operated the valve a few times, slamming it closed as hard as I dared, just in case the valve itself is gunked up. No joy.

It’s Sunday today , so I’ll likely call a mobile tech tomorrow to help figure it out…on a brighter note, the Verde Ranch RV Resort in Camp Verde, AZ is as good a place as any to wait it out!😁
IMG_0923.jpeg

I'm guessing you're out of warranty?

I'd call Newmar first thing or email your Superstar specific group. For example I use [email protected] and typically get timely responses.

My guess is the rod has separated from the gate, you definitely don't want to be slamming that plastic stuff around. As such you're probably going to have the joy of replacing the gate valve, quite frankly it's not that hard, I've done a lot of work with mods in my wet bay. It's four bolts, but you'll need to get a new one on the way, Newmar Parts can help with that but you can also find them on Amazon, eTrailer, and other sites.

If I verified the rod separated from the blade then we need to get the rod out. But I'd try screwing that rod clockwise and see if it can bit into threads somewhere on the blade assembly it seems to have separated from. If you screw it counterclockwise can you remove the rod from the blade assembly? I long screw may be something to try as you're trying to attach to the blade to get it to pull and open. It's a very simple design.

I found a video that may give you some ideas. And it's one of the most disgusting wet bays I've ever seen so don't watch during dinner! :)

Let's not avoid the obvious, can you confirm there is "stuff" in that tank you're trying to empty? Is it black or gray? Was it left open by accident and therefore may in fact just be empty? Close the gate, flush toilets or run a sink, then come back and test again.

Thanks! I’ll hopefully post a resolution in a day or so..🤞

Let's not avoid the obvious, can you confirm there is "stuff" in that tank you're trying to empty? Is it black or gray? Was it left open by accident and therefore may in fact just be empty? Close the gate, flush toilets or run a sink, then come back and test again.
Yeah, they’re full. It’s both tanks failing at the same time, although the pics/video have been exclusively the black valve because I haven’t located the gray yet. (That Newmar plumbing scheme again).

Latest resources

Back