• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Sewer Hook Up

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I'm a novice at RVing. So it's permissible to leave the gray water valve open and let it continually drain at the campsite? That doesn't seem right. Not sure I have my facts right.

I'm a novice at RVing. So it's permissible to leave the gray water valve open and let it continually drain at the campsite? That doesn't seem right. Not sure I have my facts right.
I do most of the time but I make sure I have a full gray tank before leaving the camp ground to help flush my sewer hose.

I do not. I watch the level daily then bleed off as needed. However, in cold near freezing temps if caught in those I will let a faucet run on a steady trickle while the valve remains open. Only of course if on city water hookup.

I don’t think you are necessarily wrong for keeping it open it comes down to preference for each.

Yes. To be clear, it would be draining into sewer connection.

Some keep the gray valve closed because they are concerned that rodents and or bugs could get into their waste plumbing or that the sewer smell will vent through your plumbing and stink up the campground. This is easily overcome by leaving a drop (think p-trap under your sink) in your drain hose that holds water to prevent the rodents, bugs, or smell from getting into you plumbing system.

And as has been stated previously, I close the gray valve when my black tank is approaching full or when leaving so that the gray tank has at least a showers worth of water to flush the lines after dumping the black tank.

Latest resources

Back