Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
450 hp Cummins
TOW/TOAD
3017 Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Last trip out the door side mirror was much shakier than the driver side mirror. I removed the mirror today and the slack is in the mount on the coach. I can't see a way to tighten at all without removing the beauty cover. Is it held on by the silicone sealant? I would appreciate someone smarter than me to lend some guidance

Yes, they are just stuck on with goop. Cut the bead and it will come loose.

Thanks Rich. That is what I suspected, just needed verification before I started cutting. Have you ever done that? Start cutting and hmm, I shouldn't have done that.

Could be different on different models, but my 2020 Kountry Star has a plastic plug on bottom of the arm directly under the mirror assembly that I was able to remove and tighten the entire assembly there. Had the same symptom, door side mirror bouncing and vibrating much more than driver side. That did the trick for mine.

Thanks Rich. That is what I suspected, just needed verification before I started cutting. Have you ever done that? Start cutting and hmm, I shouldn't have done that.
No but I damaged one and ordered a new one and its just a shell with no attachment points and on examination of the old one, all I can see is the silicone bead holding it on.

Could be different on different models, but my 2020 Kountry Star has a plastic plug on bottom of the arm directly under the mirror assembly that I was able to remove and tighten the entire assembly there. Had the same symptom, door side mirror bouncing and vibrating much more than driver side. That did the trick for mine.
yeah Id start there too. Pop the chrome plug off, and tighten the nut behind it - I believe its 9/16”.

Yes, it is 9/16". I did that first. In putting torque on that bolt I could see the interior bracket moving. I removed the bolt, pulled the mirror/arm out and unplugged it. Pulled the beauty cover off and could see a lip on one of the countersunk screws. I checked all four and they were all loose. One took three full turns to tighten. I removed them one at a time and applied blue loctite to each one. Just so everyone knows, they are self tapping screws.

Yes, it is 9/16". I did that first. In putting torque on that bolt I could see the interior bracket moving. I removed the bolt, pulled the mirror/arm out and unplugged it. Pulled the beauty cover off and could see a lip on one of the countersunk screws. I checked all four and they were all loose. One took three full turns to tighten. I removed them one at a time and applied blue loctite to each one. Just so everyone knows, they are self tapping screws.
You would think anything that big, heavy, and important would have more substantial hardware attaching it to the coach. Any issues reattaching the plastic cover?

Not so far. I spent about forty-five minutes cleaning the cover and the coach of old silicone. The cover fits pretty snug on the bracket. I applied a bead of silicone around the bracket where you could tell it had been. Then I applied a small bead on the edge of the cover. Put it in place and taped it down. I am thinking I will apply a filet bead around the edge where the cover meets the coach tomorrow. I don't know if that is necessary and haven't made my mind up yet. I'm gonna see how it feels tomorrow.

Not so far. I spent about forty-five minutes cleaning the cover and the coach of old silicone. The cover fits pretty snug on the bracket. I applied a bead of silicone around the bracket where you could tell it had been. Then I applied a small bead on the edge of the cover. Put it in place and taped it down. I am thinking I will apply a filet bead around the edge where the cover meets the coach tomorrow. I don't know if that is necessary and haven't made my mind up yet. I'm gonna see how it feels tomorrow.
I‘d like to see a couple pics if you took any. Haven't done mine yet because we are traveling til March. But then I’ll take the new one and the old one (for paint match) to a good body guy, have it painted, then put it all back together. The new plastic cover was over $80 from Newmar. Probably could have got it for less than half that if I knew the source.

Latest resources

Back