Chassis
Prevost
Engine
Volvo D13
TOW/TOAD
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Fulltimer
No
I pulled out of Las Vegas this morning and had only two stops one at PFJ and Loves for fuel. Other than that I just drove. I got to my storage and found the bedroom window shattered. I think that’s strange. I know I didn’t hit anything as I would have seen that around the window. What are your thoughts? I’d like to blame the abysmal roads in CA and I swear on a stack of Newmar brochures to never take CA 99 again. It’s amazing you don’t realize how bad until you cross state lines.

1590809854090.jpeg

1590809976065.jpeg

That’s a really odd break pattern for some sort of road debris...I’m puzzled, too.

I have absolutely nothing helpful to add, but Holy smokes. That is so bizarre. What could have caused that? Gheesh! Sorry you are having to deal with that. Aaaaargh.

Wow! That is, indeed, an odd breakage pattern. I'm wondering if the window was either (a) loose and vibrated to the point of breaking the edges, or (b) was too tight in the frame and the rough road caused the edges to break. Either way, I would send those photos to both Newmar and NIRVC since you just had the coach worked on.

Sorry to hear of this issue. Frustrating, for sure.

TJ

Crap Sheridan. That's a bummer. Been in the commercial glass business for 40+ years and have never seen one break like that. That is one thing I hate about these "flush" windows. The weak point in any tempered lite of glass is the edge and they are very exposed. If a rock was kicked up and hit the edge of the glass at just the right place, it will blow. As Akdare mentioned, it is a strange break pattern. Usually a tempered lite will just shatter. Maybe the sealant and insulated spacer / silicone stopped it from completely shattering.

Wait, now that I look closer, the entire lite is shattered. Run some duct tape on it to prevent it from falling out.

Find a good glass house and they may be able to pattern and order the exterior lite, pull the window and remake the insulated unit, then reinstall.

Best of luck.
Mike

Were you in seriously hot weather in the Las Vegas or Arizona Area? I’ve heard of window seals adhering to the glass which might have caused a weird dynamics between coach/glass/rough road. Just a wild ass thought.

Yes it was very hot there all week yesterday almost 110. And you could be right. It’s very strange. I sent off emails to nirvc and newmar as @TJ&LadyDi suggested.

I've heard of this a few times. My bet is Newmar will replace it under warranty (good will). Something is defective somewhere in the line (mount, glass, etc.). These things certainly take away from the fun of RVing, we all just want our stuff to be fine and enjoy camping. Hope you can get this nuisance fixed up soon and get it out of your mind.

I got to my storage and found the bedroom window shattered. I think that’s strange.
I will join the group that thinks that's pretty strange.

My coach is 8 years older than yours, but the window in the bedroom did the same thing. I picked up the MH in Florida and when I arrived in NC (a week later) I found the outside glass shattered. It wasn't a strange break around the outside like yours, instead mine was completely gone except for some residue glass around the frame.

Sorry to hear that Sheridan. On our trip last year to the West, the top part of our 1/2 bath window broke. I still do not know how it happened. I used Gorilla Waterproof Seal Tape to hold it together.
Glass breakage is not covered under the Newmar warranty, I have tried ?.3BC3A53F-3419-4B69-A2EA-C421DF387B91.jpeg

Latest resources

Back