Dutch Star
RV Length
Chassis
Freightliner
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ram
Fulltimer
Yes
Pulled into a campground. Connected to pedestal. Progressive EMS says power is good. Can hear the transfer switch connecting. Have power for less than a minute then no power. Started generator and we have power.
My thinking, is either my power cord reel is bad or the transfer switch.
Everything worked three hours ago at the previous campground.
I am going to try to check the power cord reel and insure I have power coming out of the reel. I took apart the main plug and all looks good. No burnt wires or obvious overheating.
Any suggestions are appreciated.

check the pedestal first. Could be a soft breaker, bad connection. If you cant test it other than with your EMS, try another pedestal.

Do you know the voltage from the pedestal? Does your EMS show the volts/amps like my internal one does? Sometimes a high voltage situation, > 130'ish will be shut down by the transfer switch. Maybe try a different spot at the CG if they have availability?

Do you know the voltage from the pedestal? Does your EMS show the volts/amps like my internal one does? Sometimes a high voltage situation, > 130'ish will be shut down by the transfer switch. Maybe try a different spot at the CG if they have availability?

The EMS shows 119 volts on leg one and 120 volts on leg 2. No error codes. Error codes include high ot low voltage, high or low hertz, reverse polarity and open ground. So I think I have good power. I'm leaning towards a bad contacts in the cord reel.

UPDATE
Running on the generator. Went out to check the pedestal again and I had a past error code for low voltage. So, I'm holding off doing anything until the next stop and see if it repeats. No other spots available. Didn't have the error code before. Thanks Rich W. and Neal.

Update #2 (Final)
Trying out a new "park" for the night. No power issues.
Trying out RV HOOKUP at a Love's in Cameron, Missouri.
Full hookup for $32.00 including tax. It is a back in, concrete spot.
The only issue is the slope of the concrete is a little more than desired. The front tires are off the ground. I lowered the front so they will be supporting some of the weight.

Also double check your connections on the pedestal when this happens. I was hooking up to an extension at home 50 amp and it wasn't tight. The transfer switch would go through then kick off. That is a sure sign of power fluctuation.

HH

We had a two night stop in Louisiana last week and about the same thing happened.

Plugged in and fired up all three a/c units. Finished setting up everything and about 10 minutes later power went off. Breaker had partially tripped at the pedestal. Since this had happened once before in an older CG (in our Newmar) I knew what it was.

Called CG office and told them my pedestal had a weak breaker and it needed changed. Maintenance showed up a while later and changed it out. We were able to run all three a/c units the rest of our stay.

I’ve seen quite a few pedestals with problems - weak breakers, bad grounding (got shocked at a Thousand Trails in Oregon in a coach with a metal door handle), pedestals rusty and physically falling apart, damaged from previous users, etc. If there’s any doubt I test the pedestal before plugging in. I’ve worked on a few in the past but at this point if I run into a bad one and the staff can’t accommodate me I move on. Had enough of dealing with other peoples junk.

Latest resources

Back