Chassis
Class C
Engine
Ford V10
TOW/TOAD
2005 GMC Envoy
Fulltimer
No
My RV is only three years old, and I noticed one night while hooked up to shore power, my 12v light went dim and after a few hours when out altogether. It was my understanding that the converter was to charge the batteries and supply DC power to the lights. When I took it in for repairs, they told me the house batteries needed to be replaced. I approved the replacement, but shouldn't my converter also be checked and validated since it wasn't charging the coach batteries? I read online that when connected to shore power, I really didn't need to coach batteries. The repair shop indicated they needed to perform more testing once the batteries were replaced, but I'm thinking there is something wrong with the converter. Any thoughts?

Welcome. I’m not sure but I think the system will need good battery to work properly. I think the converter should be checked out.

Some RVs are different than others. With our current fiver (two 12v house batteries) it is my understanding that any 12v needs come from those batteries. The batteries are being charged by being plugged into shore power, or if under way I suspect they could get a small charge from my trucks pigtail but I'm not positive about that.

If I were to start dropping 12v inside I would first have my house battery(s) tested. Once a 12v battery fails it won't take a charge is my understanding.

Latest resources

Back