Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Should I replace OEM front shocks, or not?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

3xPoppa

RVF Regular
We purchased a 2019 (2018 F53 Chassis) Winnebago Vista Class A. I am planning to add the Sumo Springs to the front. Should I also replace the OEM front shocks? The rig has 4900 miles. What have been your experiences?

At 4900 miles I doubt it needs it but in some cases it can improve the ride. Some chassis manufacturers don't always put the best shocks on but are out to save money. If you're looking to improve the ride then treat yourself to new shocks if you think it is needed. Koni's seem to be a popular upgrade.

The front "shocks" function as dampeners to reduce the movement of the springs and nothing more. Go with the heavy duty versions of the SumoSprings at the front and at the rear as they will reduce wheel travel and help with stability in turns where more than half the weight is carried by the outer wheels and springs. SumoSprings come in normal and heavy duty versions and I went with the heavy duty as the MBZ chassis is overloaded with the RV weight even before adding cargo and passengers.

I would doubt very much that Mercedes Sprinter shocks for their commercial van chassis are not well made. Replacing them now will accomplish nothing and is a waste of money. When and if it comes time to change the shocks I would look for adjustable ones (like the Rancho XL) so you can adjust the resistance and tune them for your RV.

We changed the front shocks to Koni FSD shocks. These made a very positive difference is handling, especially over rough road sections..

We purchased a 2019 (2018 F53 Chassis) Winnebago Vista Class A. I am planning to add the Sumo Springs to the front. Should I also replace the OEM front shocks? The rig has 4900 miles. What have been your experiences?
Drive it for a few hundred miles.
Don't throw money away. Steer safe is a great add on for F53 .
No more wandering or bey pushed by passing trucks.
Will keep wheels straight even after a blow out. Easy to install. Our 1999 Dutch Star has it on for 50000 plus miles.

Latest resources

Back