• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Should I Upgrade to F250?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
My 5.7 will turn 4000+ RPM all day every day for a million miles with no complaints. Gas engines need to rev to make their power, especially when they're naturally aspirated.
That may be, but as I said, I'm on the conservative side. I figure, when I'm 800 miles from home, I REALLY don't want the towing vehicle to crap out on me for my own mistakes.

As an industrial maintenance tech, (retired), I learned one very important fact.........if man can build it, it WILL break, and most likely when you're trying to use it. That's why I don't get onto carnival rides.

Just sayin'.....Roger

Slowing down on a grade is ok. Maybe increase your speed a little approaching grades. Did I read that correctly 60mph up the grade? If that’s your speed seems good. We all slow on the grades, even a diesel. As I was once told. “You don’t need to be first to the top.”
Yeah, was trying to keep some speed so I would not be a speed bump for 18 wheelers. Speed limit on this hwy was 75 and if I took my foot off the gas, I would quickly be at 45/50 MPH. But I agree, I'm certainly not trying to speed while pulling my trailer. Just concerned that I'm having to work my truck so hard on hills and overpasses. I'm new to pulling a travel trailer so maybe this is the norm?? I've pulled plenty of mid-sized boats, but they don't have as much wind drag as the trailer. Thank you for your feedback.

As to your question, for daily driving, you'll probably prefer a GM 2500 with IFS to the Super Duty's death wobble.
Haha... that is also being considered. I had bad luck with a GMC few years back and has left me with a bad taste for GM trucks. But... I'm open to trying again because of the IFS.

You might want to research the Ford EcoBoost engine some. It is my understanding that these engine have had issues.
But I am a big proponent of Turbos for torque.

You might want to research the Ford EcoBoost engine some. It is my understanding that these engine have had issues.
But I am a big proponent of Turbos for torque.

If the headline is correct and that recall only covers the 2.7 and 3.0, I wouldn't be concerned. The 3.5 is the one you'd want for towing anyway.

Hello all! I'm new to the forum and fairly new to pulling a travel trailer.

I have a 2018 F150 5.0 V8 with 3.31 gears. My travel trailer is 6000# dry so I would guess maybe 6500# when pulling. Technically this falls well within the capabilities of my truck and the truck does fine in perfect conditions on a flat road. But when you add in wind, hills, overpasses, bridges, or needing to pass my truck feels underpowered. If I need to accelerate to go up a hill, I have to floor it, and it will hit over 5k RPM until the top of the hill still only making it to 60 MPH. I feel like the truck is struggling and I'm going to end up wearing it out stressing it this much.

We are part time RVers only going 5 - 8 times per year. I know the F250 will resolve my issue but just not sure I want to move to a larger truck for my daily driver. I was hoping to get some opinions on the F250 as a daily driver. I'm also curious to know if the 3.5 EcoBoost with 3.73 gears would solve my issue.

I appreciate any help you can provide.
Ford has historically always oversold their tow ratings. Literally max is max. I had a Triton F-150 that didn’t pull my 7000lb trailer as much as got manhandled by the trailer. Scary. Went to Tundra and literally night and day difference. The built-in to frame receiver, built in sway control and huge brakes make it a breeze. Toyota tow ratings are based upon competent, comfortably tow capacity vs ‘well, it pulled it!’
Sure, it’s not a 250/super duty BUT at least it’s not a 250/ super duty! For infrequent towing, I wouldn’t want to suffer the overall literal and figurative pain in the a55 and extra cost that a super duty is.

Latest resources

Back