• Commercial/Vendors welcome

MOD Silverleaf Charge Bridge Limitation / Workaround

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
In the New Aire it is mid ship behind a panel just aft of the DC electrical bay. Not easy to get to. I installed a fly back diode on the solenoid in my old NA.

The problem now is that these lithium batteries need more care and apparently bugs do remain in the current (old) design. Several reasons to consider a modification to the old design.
Thanks. I suspect that I will need to have a diode installed as I've been watching the dynamics of my house and chassis batteries on my SL for a while with not a lot of understanding of what is going on. This thread helped a lot. Thanks again.

Thanks. I suspect that I will need to have a diode installed as I've been watching the dynamics of my house and chassis batteries on my SL for a while with not a lot of understanding of what is going on. This thread helped a lot. Thanks again.
The folks at SilverLeaf understand the issues better than Newmar. Apparently letting SilverLeaf take control of that charge bridge was left over from the early days when SilverLeaf was first introduced on the KingAir. Not much has changed since but with lithium taking over it is time for a change.

Didn't Lippert acquire Silverleaf? Someone did, so will engineering continue or is it in maintenance only mode? How does the VEGA system Entegra uses compare? Maybe Newmar needs a new system?

Didn't Lippert acquire Silverleaf? Someone did, so will engineering continue or is it in maintenance only mode? How does the VEGA system Entegra uses compare? Maybe Newmar needs a new system?
Have not kept up with Silverleaf but yes the old system needs to be replaced.

I suspect that I will need to have a diode installed..

The LADP likely has an Ametek solenoid, see pic for location and part number. Ametek has the diode. the original white rodgers were the ones requiring an addition of a diode. some newmar model still use that! The solenoid is located in the power compartment right behind the power cord. you have to remove the black panel (Velcro attached), to access the solenoid. the unit is located on the top right of the first pic. 2nd one has the part no (140045) to see if you have the ametek.

Attachments

• Solenoid (1).jpg
    Solenoid (1).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
  • Solenoid (2).jpg
    Solenoid (2).jpg
    819.4 KB · Views: 1
The LADP likely has an Ametek solenoid
I read that another 2022 LADP owner has the Trombetta solenoid so I want to confirm. I hope you are right though.

The solenoid is located in the power compartment right behind the power cord. you have to remove the black panel (Velcro attached), to access the solenoid. the unit is located on the top right of the first pic. 2nd one has the part no (140045) to see if you have the ametek.
Thanks, gonna go look now.

The LADP likely has an Ametek solenoid, see pic for location and part number. Ametek has the diode. the original white rodgers were the ones requiring an addition of a diode. some newmar model still use that! The solenoid is located in the power compartment right behind the power cord. you have to remove the black panel (Velcro attached), to access the solenoid. the unit is located on the top right of the first pic. 2nd one has the part no (140045) to see if you have the ametek.

What I think is needed is to eliminate that solenoid in SilverLeaf coaches in favor of a manual "Start Bridge Switch". Then add two Victron DC to DC converters. Once converter would go from the house battery to the chassis battery with a AGM charging algorithm. The second DC to DC converter would go from the chassis battery/alternator to the house batteries with either an AGM or lithium charging algorithm (depending on what battery set is in the coach).

This set up would cover all the bases.

You could leave the existing solenoid in place but remove the SilverLeaf interface then use the "Battery Boost" for the rare situation where you need to start without house battery power. Given the issues with that solenoid I would much rather see it gone with a manual start switch, since it will be very rare it is ever needed.

Well, darn. I have the trombetta. Looks like I need the diode kit. Has anyone installed one? If so, do you have a photo of what it looks like? Thanks.

Well, darn. I have the trombetta. Looks like I need the diode kit. Has anyone installed one? If so, do you have a photo of what it looks like? Thanks.

Yes, I installed one on a White Rodgers solenoid in my old NA. It is in a hell hole back there. Was not an easy job for a simple diode.

It also exposed the simply awful electrical wiring fit and finish conveniently covered with these panels. Note the module loosely held in place with some zip ties.

IMG_5202.jpeg

IMG_5205.jpeg

Yes, I installed one on a White Rodgers solenoid in my old NA. It is in a hell hole back there. Was not an easy job for a simple diode.

It also exposed the simply awful electrical wiring fit and finish conveniently covered with these panels. Note the module loosely held in place with some zip ties.

View attachment 21014
View attachment 21015
Thanks @turbopilot. Looks like I can add that to my list for Newmar.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back