MOD Silverleaf Charge Bridge Limitation / Workaround

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Good news according to Newmar, no Silverleaf on the DutchStar
Probably shouldn't be in this thread then...please start a new thread as needed to resume the content if unrelated to the OP.

Kevin, we picked it up in November, technically last year, 🤣.
Unfortunately this has been our experience with new RVs In the first year.
The first few months of small issues that get resolved with warranty.
Consequently we go on short trips for the first six months to sort out all this stuff.
Once the initial problems settled down the RV should be good for five years or so of travel.
This one will probably be the last for us.
Good news according to Newmar, no Silverleaf on the DutchStar. So I don’t have that headache.
🤣 that's been my experience with RVs as well. But then, what I buy, has truly gone past it's expiration date, so I must start replacing everything!!!

Not sure why Newmar would install a BIM designed for lead acid to lead acid chemistry Bridging? (Maybe this is the problem??)
Maybe for same reason they factory installed legacy lead-acid era Xantrex solar controllers that were not compatible with lithium batteries even on their factory installed Lithionics optioned coaches pre Feb 2023 (resulting in a recent service bulletin being released last summer to remove & replace them with an upgraded solar controllers that are indeed lithium compatible). <grin>

I have the same question myself now about requiring a DC to DC charger even though the factory installed battery joiner solenoids. When I upgraded my Lithionics from 2 batteries to 3 through the dealer/factory (for a 960 Ah lithium total) I am still questioning the whole old-school battery joiner solenoid approach used on my 2023 New Aire. Very curious how things sort out with your install & inquiries to Newmar.

Victron has a new Orion TR 12/12 50 coming out, but there is the question of how to best wire in to bypass SilverLeaf trying to connect the batteries when it thinks it should while still allowing for the combiner switch on the dash to still work if needed to start the rig. Given our altenator size, am I concerned for no reason and the combiner solenoid is just fine? I rather be safe than sorry...

Best,
-Mark

Newgle has some useful information on this topic. Hopefully up to date.

I have the same question myself now about requiring a DC to DC charger even though the factory installed battery joiner solenoids. When I upgraded my Lithionics from 2 batteries to 3 through the dealer/factory (for a 960 Ah lithium total) I am still questioning the whole old-school battery joiner solenoid approach used on my 2023 New Aire. Very curious how things sort out with your install & inquiries to Newmar.

Victron has a new Orion TR 12/12 50 coming out, but there is the question of how to best wire in to bypass SilverLeaf trying to connect the batteries when it thinks it should while still allowing for the combiner switch on the dash to still work if needed to start the rig. Given our altenator size, am I concerned for no reason and the combiner solenoid is just fine? I rather be safe than sorry...
The YouTuber "Our Journey In Myles" posted a series on upgrading their older rig to Lithionics 960 Ah Lithium at NIRVC-Atlanta:

In that video he sourced and added the Lithionics Automatic Combiner Relay Controller. For an older system without SilverLeaf managing the combining of batteries for alternator charging, I get it.

However, as an owner of a 2023 Newmar rig, as I look at the ACR Logic Table on their data sheet (https://lithionicsbattery.com/wp-co...cs-Battery-ACR-Applications-Overview-RevE.pdf) I'm finding that it acts very similar to Newmar's SilverLeaf system and its factory battery combiner solenoid/relay. In fact, the enter and exit conditions for the status of HOUSE_CHARGING look like they are specific to old Lead Acid charging tables. Yes, the $HACV command can modify the house battery voltage to be different than the House < 13.8V trigger, but... If that is Lithionic's answer, I guess I'm not feeling so bad about what Newmar does straight out of the factory for those who have SilverLeaf. If only Lithionics was as chatty as BattleBorn when it comes to answering questions vs. insisting consumers only talk with their dealers (who don't know the answers either).

Best,
-Mark

Latest resources

Back