• Commercial/Vendors welcome

MOD Silverleaf Charge Bridge Limitation / Workaround

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Changing the switch to an on/off switch, as opposed to the momentary switch, definitely allows for the charging of the chassis batteries at will.

Since I’ve been focusing on Smart RV capabilities, the smart switch was perfect for me. I can activate the switch manually (button on the device), locally or remotely via a home automation app, or better yet, automatically with programmed rules (ie, if voltage is x when generator starts). For the use case of charging the chassis battery when running the generator while boondocking, the manual switch should work well.

For the use case of charging the chassis battery when running the generator while boondocking, the manual switch should work well.
The Silverleaf logic does sense generator as a source of electricity and manage the charge bridge as we know it. Not perfect for all situations as you pointed out. So you have a good solution for the generator use case.

My goal was to power the New Aire in the Summer without using the generator unless AC was needed. With 1000 kw of solar it works but SilverLeaf does not have any logic to know there is a source of power so it will not turn on the bridge to the chassis batteries. The only solution for long term camping on solar or long term storage outside is to simply turn on the bridge and leave on charging all batteries from the sun by eliminating the spring loaded switch.

Apparently there is an interface available to allow SilverLeaf to sense when solar power is operational and activate the bridge, but the last time I talked to SilverLeaf they said Newmar had not authorized the modification to the Newmar implementation of SilverLeaf.

As you point out it is clear the SilverLeaf charge bridge logic needs to be fixed so we don't have to do these work arounds.

Waking up this thread again apparently the charge bridge issue continues in SilverLeaf equipped coaches.

Good post by Art from SilverLeaf on "the other forum".

I can't believe this system has not been redesigned after all these years and all the gremlins that can be caused with this ancient solenoid technology acts up.

Yes, one has to wonder why they don't change this. specially given, they use a solenoid which seems to work just fine in EXDPs and have done so for very many years. You can try this blue seas 250A to replace the white rodger or the Amatek200A

I don't know what they use in NAs, but most hi-lines had been using Amatek in recent years, perhaps some with White rodgers.

This design is trying to do too many things. SilverLeaf is making a decision when to open the solenoid to charge the chassis battery or when to let the engine charge the house batteries. Meanwhile the spring loaded boost switch will force the solenoid closed in the rare event you need the house batteries to start the engine. Unfortunately, the logic in the Silverleaf does not open the solenoid when the house batteries are being charged by a solar controller (unless the Silverleaf code has been updated in the last two years), so the chassis batteries have to use the much smaller roof mounted solar panel. Apparently the manual solenoid is still causing electrical noise in the SilverLeaf network that makes other modules malfunction

I would much rather like to see the house and chassis electrical systems fully isolated with DC/DC converters (such as the Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC Charger Isolated) providing mutual charging services and a manual switch that could be used to fully cross connect the two electrical systems when the rare case arises to start the engine from the house batteries. This would be far better than charging the house batteries using the engine alternator that does not use a three stage charging algorithm.

Screenshot 2023-10-04 at 12.09.03.png

You know, one way to deal with this issue, is to request the change in your custom order. Even though, it'll likely get denied, it'd help, if more people made an effort to ask for it. They'll eventually come around to implement it.

You know, one way to deal with this issue, is to request the change in your custom order. Even though, it'll likely get denied, it'd help, if more people made an effort to ask for it. They'll eventually come around to implement it.
This would be a pretty major modification of the DC electrical system. I would rather do it myself. I will wait to see what is actually in the new coach. They have been changing components but I think the basic design is unchanged.

With the newer lithium battery systems going into the high end coaches I am surprised they are still charging those lithium batteries using the raw output of the diesel engine alternator. That is bad practice and may damage the lithium batteries.

Waking up this thread again apparently the charge bridge issue continues in SilverLeaf equipped coaches.

Good post by Art from SilverLeaf on "the other forum".

I can't believe this system has not been redesigned after all these years and all the gremlins that can be caused with this ancient solenoid technology acts up.
Thanks for waking up this thread. Where is this solenoid located?

Thanks for waking up this thread. Where is this solenoid located?
In the New Aire it is mid ship behind a panel just aft of the DC electrical bay. Not easy to get to. I installed a fly back diode on the solenoid in my old NA.

The problem now is that these lithium batteries need more care and apparently bugs do remain in the current (old) design. Several reasons to consider a modification to the old design.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back