• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Single or Dually

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Yeah, I thought of a motorhome, but I thought backing a tow vehicle would be hard to back up, plus I'd be back to hitching and unhitching again.
I’m not sure if you mean backing up a motorhome with the toad hitched but you can’t do that so no struggle there as you would unhitch the vehicle if you are backing up. Hooking up the vehicle to motorhome takes 5 minutes at most. There are pros and cons to everything I like motorhome for onboard facilities on long journeys but the interior space of a big fifth wheel would be nice too.

Interesting AntieDodo, So you're saying that if you're in a situation, say in a parking lot where some idiot parked to close in front you (or I'm the idiot who didn't allow enough room), you'd actually have to unhitch the toad, back it up, then hitch it back up again just to back up the motorhome? I didn't know that. It's getting harder to hitch and unhitch my current 24' trailer now that I'm in my late 70s, so one of the reasons I'm going to a fifth wheel is so that I don't have to get on my knees every time to connect and then later disconnect the electricity, chains, and emergency breakaway, or mess with the stabilizers. Plus of course, we want more room that a fifth wheel offers. I'm hoping that with the Gen Y Gooseneck hitch, all my connections will be in the bed (not to mention that there is no fifth wheel in the bed to move when I'm not hauling the 5er). Thanks for the lesson on that!

It is not recommended to back up with toad connected. Hopefully your choice doesn’t have you in n your knees.

I'm a little "late to the party", but Gizmo is correct on payload. For the fiver you are looking at any SRW will come up short by the time your truck is actually loaded for travel/towing.

I can tell you that towing a heavy fiver with a 1-ton dually is very similar to driving down the interstate in a 43' tag axle diesel pusher. The wind doesn't push you around and it is very stable indeed.

Interesting AntieDodo, So you're saying that if you're in a situation, say in a parking lot where some idiot parked to close in front you (or I'm the idiot who didn't allow enough room), you'd actually have to unhitch the toad, back it up, then hitch it back up again just to back up the motorhome? I didn't know that. It's getting harder to hitch and unhitch my current 24' trailer now that I'm in my late 70s, so one of the reasons I'm going to a fifth wheel is so that I don't have to get on my knees every time to connect and then later disconnect the electricity, chains, and emergency breakaway, or mess with the stabilizers. Plus of course, we want more room that a fifth wheel offers. I'm hoping that with the Gen Y Gooseneck hitch, all my connections will be in the bed (not to mention that there is no fifth wheel in the bed to move when I'm not hauling the 5er). Thanks for the lesson on that!
A trailer can be backed up but an rv with a toed cannot be backed up as the towing systems will not allow it.

Thanks Lenny, Yup, that's what I'm hearing and is the main reason I'm not going with a motorhome.

I'm a little "late to the party", but Gizmo is correct on payload. For the fiver you are looking at any SRW will come up short by the time your truck is actually loaded for travel/towing.

I can tell you that towing a heavy fiver with a 1-ton dually is very similar to driving down the interstate in a 43' tag axle diesel pusher. The wind doesn't push you around and it is very stable indeed.
Thanks Joe, that's really good to know about the wind affecting the 5er. About 40 years ago I was following a 5er in Navada with some pretty strong side winds when all of a sudden it just blew over. I've been leery of them ever since, but I imagine that the truck and hitch technology has improved enough since then to help with that. On the other hand of course, there's the nasty physics of side forces and I'm sure that at some point, mother nature can prevail, even if you're not moving.

I have had several trailers and several 5th wheels and the least of my concerns is not being able to back up. While traveling I call ahead for pull thru the site. When I arrive I pull in and put the sides out and hit the jacks and if raining I delay plugging in if not raining I plug in power and since I have large tanks and don't have to worry about the weight I don't hook up sewer unless I travel for more than few days. If there is not a good campground option I pull into a rest stop put one slide, hit the levers, push a button, and the generator on. Flip on the air and throw something in the microwave and watch some TV. All the time I have been in Class A I have never got in a position where I had to disconnect to backup. At that age I don't have to deal with trailers or 5er. Been there and done that.

Last edited:
I see your point, and maybe finding pull throughs are not a problem in your area. In the Northwest, we have to make reservations as soon as they open to get the right site in the campgrounds we like. For us, we need more flexibility, so I don't have the luxury of early reservations and pull throughs are pretty nonexistent by that time. You seem to have a good process and are happy with it but winding up in a rest stop is not our idea of a relaxing vacation.

I was born and raised in Longview Washington and spent a lot of time up there and haven't found that to be the case unless you going to state campgrounds and with the RV you looking at there are not many you will fit in and are very limited. My experience is you need to be around 30 feet or less and there are longer sites than normally only a few if any. Most of the state campgrounds have zero or just few 50 amp sites.
I personnel would rather do than just spend a quick overnight stop in rest stops, Cracker Barrel and etc than spend the money and time to check into an RV park just to spend a few hours and leave the next morning.
Going someplace like Washington, Oregon, and Colorado and driving a big DRW truck is not fun. I pull a Jeep Rubicon and can see the high country and go see some beautiful sites in the mountains that DRW truck wouldn't dare go to. Class A and Jeep combo are perfect for us.

Latest resources

Back