Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins / I6 Diesel Pusher 600HP / 1,950 ft-lbs
TOW/TOAD
2016 Jeep Rubicon
Fulltimer
No
As a member of several RV Park Forums dedicated to sharing information between campground owners, one of the ways RV Parks are generating additional income, is to sell the visitor a "Site Lock Guarantee". For a minimal fee, say $10-$30, they guarantee your site (or one with similar attributes) will be available when you arrive.

I understand there are different models that RV parks operate under, and I suppose that in some rare models there "may" be justification for buying insurance. But IMO, and in most of the cases I'm seeing, it's simply a way of generating additional income without actually providing a tangible service. If I were booking a site and was told that the only way to guarantee my site would be available when I arrived was to buy insurance, then I would go somewhere else.

I'm interested in others opinions on the matter.

Last edited:
When I book a specific site (not an option at ALL parks), I expect that site. If I have to pay extra to "secure" it then I might go elsewhere...or take my chances. BUT I'm not paying extra to guarantee it. Not really a fan of "Resort Fees" either 😉 JMHO

I've seen the site guarantee a few places, don't know if I've ever paid it. I'm sure it can be effective for them with additional revenue. I certainly see people paying it.

The Campground Owners argument:

Park space is in high demand these days. If someone rents site #1 from the 1st-5th and someone else rents that same site from the 8th - 12th, then there is a 2 night dead spot that will end up as lost revenue to the campground. So if the campground can move either of the visitors to another site, then they may be able to rent the dead space and recapture the revenue that would have been lost. Campground owners argue that the "lock fee" is hardly enough to compensate for the actually lose they take by not being able to move their guests around.

Last edited:
An important distinction might also be if a particular site has a particular amenity, such as a really nice view that is not as tangible an amenity as say, a tiki hut or outdoor kitchen. Also, some sites may be easier to get in and out of than others, that could be worth paying for if someone is 45’ long pulling a double-stacker trailer or perhaps just doesn’t want to do the Austin Powers shuffle that all big rig owners occasionally have to do.

I am all for choice and if folks want to pay more to be guaranteed a particular site, then I think they should be able to.

Personally though, I would not pay to be guaranteed a particular site so long as the majority of other sites are acceptable for my needs.

For example, if the vast majority of sites in the campground are 35’ long and there are only a couple of sites long enough for me, I’d probably pay to ensure I get an appropriate site. But if the majority of sites are 40’ long, I’d take my chances.

Last edited:
Can we start bidding on sites?

Can we start bidding on sites?
Dude, did my wallet somehow offend you? Seems you’ve really got it out for the poor guy.

Dear Fulltimer,

You are out of touch with 2021 where we pay above asking on homes. Pay above MSRP on cars. So why not pay outrageous money for campsites? Hello 2022.

Dear Fulltimer,

You are out of touch with 2021 where we pay above asking on homes. Pay above MSRP on cars. So why not pay outrageous money for campsites? Hello 2022.
If that holds up, I see a lot of boondocking in my future. Are Victron and Battleborn publicly traded? If so, I’d suggest investing…

I have paid a lock fee in the past, even though I see it mostly as a way to get more $$. In your example looking at it from a business point of view, I get it. An empty site for two or three nights can add up over the year. For my next visit at Emerald Beach I did not pay the fee. I’ll see what happens. 🤷‍♂️

Latest resources

Back