• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Site Lock Guarantee

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
We avoid places that charge to lock in. When we book a specific site through the CG reservation system, that is what we expect to get. I understand why a CG would want to optimize bookings, I just don't want to participate.
I hate the death by a thousand cuts approach, give me the full cost up front and I will decide. Don't keep hitting me with undeclared addons later. Teaser rates and ala cart menus drive me nuts, I camp to reduce complexity not add to it.

We avoid places that charge to lock in. When we book a specific site through the CG reservation system, that is what we expect to get. I understand why a CG would want to optimize bookings, I just don't want to participate.
I hate the death by a thousand cuts approach, give me the full cost up front and I will decide. Don't keep hitting me with undeclared addons later. Teaser rates and ala cart menus drive me nuts, I camp to reduce complexity not add to it.
Site locks are a $$$ grab, like a restaurant charging for coffee/tea refills. You can do it, but you shouldn’t. Guaranteeing a guest, a requested site is just good business and something that the business should do.

If I see there is a 2 night stay that has been orphaned, I like to offer it as a “Special” to the campers that live geographically close to the campground. I have a list of these people and I can usually book the space with a simple email or phone call.

I have paid a lock fee in the past, even though I see it mostly as a way to get more $$. In your example looking at it from a business point of view, I get it. An empty site for two or three nights can add up over the year. For my next visit at Emerald Beach I did not pay the fee. I’ll see what happens. 🤷‍♂️
I posted the other campground owners views to show how they justify it. The campground is selling "insurance", and it adds a nice profit to their bottom line. Make no mistake, business's have to make a profit, that's why they exist. But there are certain "costs of doing business" that are a part of every business, and a few vacancies are just that. Besides, as I stated above, there are other ways to recoup those loses.

With the current demand levels, there will always be those willing to pay the extra costs. Many do so knowing they are paying above market value to enjoy the experience they want. Up cycles are like that. We will remember those CG's that were reasonable when they didn't have to be when the cycle reverses. They are the CG's we will continue to visit. The high volume, high cost models don't interest me, I prefer the relationship model and like knowing who I am doing business with. I understand that business need to make a profit, I appreciate when they don't try to make it all off me.

I have paid a lock fee at a park in CA. We used to live in the area and there are limited choices of RV Parks. It had limited sites for our size and the park is very tight. I could have stayed in hotel cheaper and will do that next time, oh wait….. I AM NOT GOING BACK😡.

I've never been under any impression if I didn't lock I couldn't stay at the CG. It was only to secure my site choice.

We have never paid a lock fee, and don’t intend to ever do so.

We full time with a 45’ pulling a enclosed/open hybrid trailer. We NEED a certain amount of space for our setup, as a result we will call after making the reservation and explain our size, that we cannot just fit in any spot.

Typically we have found that the places that have all the up charges are not places where we want to stay.

Summary - all the hidden or extra fees are a huge negative for us, so we go elsewhere.

The real upcharges are when you go places that have local resort fees like hotels. They advertise a price then when you check in you see all of these additional charges added you were not aware of.

As a member of several RV Park Forums dedicated to sharing information between campground owners, one of the ways RV Parks are generating additional income, is to sell the visitor a "Site Lock Guarantee". For a minimal fee, say $10-$30, they guarantee your site (or one with similar attributes) will be available when you arrive.

I understand there are different models that RV parks operate under, and I suppose that in some rare models there "may" be justification for buying insurance. But IMO, and in most of the cases I'm seeing, it's simply a way of generating additional income without actually providing a tangible service. If I were booking a site and was told that the only way to guarantee my site would be available when I arrived was to buy insurance, then I would go somewhere else.

I'm interested in others opinions on the matter.
We paid that. ONCE. I already reserved for next September, at Mountain Views RV resort in Creede, Colorado, and we wanted one of the pull-through sites so that our motorhome faces towards the mountains. We had a site like that several years ago and my husband enjoyed his early morning 'quiet time' sitting in the captain's chairs, looking toward the mountains.
So, this fall, I paid the $10 to be sure we could get one of those sites (there are only 4 pull-throughs like that)… and keep it…
With this particular RV resort I recommend it. These owners are very ...(searching for polite word).... hard-nosed businesslike, and I'm not surprised they started employing that money-making technique. If all you want is a site, no need for lock fee. If you want a certain site, you have to pay extra $10.
Years ago, we had a "vacation from hell" with several different things going wrong all in one 10-day trip. The last straw was when a refrigerator went out while we were staying there at Mountain View's, and we decided to give up and head home. It was late September 2015 and the park less than half full. We had reserved one day, and seeing the park wasn't busy, decided to book several days.....until the refrigerator went out the next day. So we asked to cancel the other days and they refused to refund us. To me, that was unreasonable, because when we first pulled in we only had one day reserved. We would've been better off renewing daily. They are hardcore moneymakers, no heartwarming mom-and-pop folks here. The park seemed nice, but the restrooms were very dated.
We had other parks that I had to cancel, and no one else refused to let us cancel that year. (long before Covid, yes)
We really love the Creede area and they do run a good park, so we forgave them, but we're VERY careful with them.

Last edited:
This reminds me of the discussion of people buying a new coach and not wanting to pay the $90'ish or whatever it is for windshield protection...

Latest resources

Back