• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Situational Awareness at all Times

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Pepper spray is on both dog leashes, if anyone is brave enough to approach a German Shepard or a Bernese Mtn. Dog. Big can of Bear spray in the navigator seat JIC, our daughter was grabbed in a store many years ago, the wife was all over it, screaming, etc. many shoppers pitched in and stopped the guy, he was arrested, Wife is forever on a swivel

DW locks the door when I'm out fueling at truckstops. Single travelers should consider locking their rigs when fueling.
We've stayed at like 15 Walmarts in the past 4.5 yrs but always at small towns. It's been ok with us.

I always use truck stops or rest areas. I try to be hyper-vigilant. In rest areas, I park between trucks. I try to make sure no one is near me when entering or leaving the coach. My arrival and departure times are in broad daylight.

And to coin an old TV show, what surprises may await anyone with an aggressive approach, “only the shadow knows”. 🥸😎

And yes. All doors are locked and steps retracted while fueling. I even lock doors when fueling my car.

I always use truck stops or rest areas. I try to be hyper-vigilant. In rest areas, I park between trucks. I try to make sure no one is near me when entering or leaving the coach. My arrival and departure times are in broad daylight.

And to coin an old TV show, what surprises may await anyone with an aggressive approach, “only the shadow knows”. 🥸😎

And yes. All doors are locked and steps retracted while fueling. I even lock doors when fueling my car.
Actually you’re quoting an old radio show… 📻

I grew up in a trailer park in San Jose. Even though I live in a nice neighborhood, I still am constantly aware of what’s going on around me.

This article was a wake up call for me. I frequent rest areas quite a bit to eat lunch, walk Sophie and when I get in a jam when "winging it," which doesn't happen often, I will sleep in one. I typically look at reviews, security etc. on Trucker's Path before doing so and I always conceal carry when I step out my door (in reciprocating states). I always stay very aware.

However, @Rich W. mentioned a scenario of walking out the door unsuspecting a "lurker" right there at your door. I have to admit I never prepared for this scenario. I feel kind of stupid, but nevertheless, thank you Rich for bringing awareness to this type of situation. As a result, I will view all my cameras before opening my door.

I've also been meaning to purchase a Byrna SD Launcher for hiking alone in national parks where I can't carry and also for the no firearm states. Finally I got off my tuckus and ordered it. If you haven't heard of it, it is a non lethal pistol (or rifle) legal in all states that uses compressed air to shoot "a .68 caliber round kinetic and/or chemical irritant projectile."

Keep safe friends and Happy Travels.

We’ve been approached a couple of times through the years, luckily it never amounted to anything. Once in the old Parking Lot at Newmar at night! Someone knocked on the door, asking for directions to a bldg at 9:30 pm.
Didn’t make sense to us, person did not fit the scenario so talked through the locked door. Waiting sedan full of men, not campers, very sketchy.
We try to be Always prepared.

BTW, Bear Spray or equivalent loose potency over time. Also, there is a gel base “deterrent “ for use inside a closed space, like a camper. That way you don’t blind yourself in the process.

Last edited:
I have a Byrna, and it is a very effective deterrent. Practice with it to familiarize yourself with the trigger pull and its operations. You can order extra cartridges and projectiles from Byrna. It is a great option.

Second, if you are going to carry a firearm in your RV, I highly recommend self-defense insurance coverage. Should the time ever come when you have to defend yourself or the lives of others with a firearm, you will want this. Several companies offer it. USCCA is the largest organization, and there are others.

Second, if you are going to carry a firearm in your RV, I highly recommend self-defense insurance coverage. Should the time ever come when you have to defend yourself or the lives of others with a firearm, you will want this. Several companies offer it. USCCA is the largest organization, and there are others.
I've had insurance coverage with USCCA for years. I'm a big follower of Colion Noir (YouTube).😊

A tool like the Byrna makes the decision to pull the trigger much easier. In worse case it buys you time to sort out a proper response.
Most urban "gangsters" run at the sign of opposition. If you are lucky, this might happen.
Crackheads and motivated Badguys, probably will need further persuasion.
In my case I would also have an additional deterrent on hand, just in case. A layered defense, if you will.

Also, this helps in the court room with 'intent' defense, if the need arises. Ample warning to the aggressor of bad things to come if they persist.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back