Forest River
RV Model
Wildcat Fifth-wheel
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2019 Ford F-250.
Fulltimer
Yes
I have a slide out bed. The underneath is wood and some black tape on the bottom in the areas Where there is some wear in and out. I would like to cover this area exposed when out.
is there a special tape or just duct tape? Is there something like a plastic sheet that would not bind and provide protection for the movements.

I have a slide out bed. The underneath is wood and some black tape on the bottom in the areas Where there is some wear in and out. I would like to cover this area exposed when out.
is there a special tape or just duct tape? Is there something like a plastic sheet that would not bind and provide protection for the movements.
All depends on fit. Any sheet I would apply would require 1/8 clearance minimum. Any plastic that will work as a bearing surface would need to be drilled and countersunk to hold it in place (glue will not stick).

There may already be a wear surface on the opening as a bearing, in that case doing nothing is the best move!
Warning: sealed wood if wet has no surface for water to escape.

All that said, let your fingers do the walking!

We use an underbelly tape for repairing the coroplast we cut open to make repairs and some of the other types like you have. If something gets caught in the rollers and it slides or a rock or whatever gets in there it will tear. I would try this type of tape first before getting into more solid surfaces. There is not supposed to be any water in this area but Kevin is correct in that it will hold it in and rot out the floor quick if it does.

Regarding the underside of our slide-out, the rollers were cutting into the black coroplast. While I don't see much way for water to get into the areas, as a precaution I installed some sheet metal strips in the areas where the rollers make contact. The strips are about 12" wide and 36" long and attached by binder screws. The metal was drilled, primed, and painted before installation. I find it works great and seems to offer less resistance for the slide-out moving in and out. See the attached pictures.

Bob

Attachments

• IMG_1117.jpg
    IMG_1117.jpg
    488.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1118.jpg
    IMG_1118.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1119.jpg
    IMG_1119.jpg
    502.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1120.jpg