Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4326
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2020 Ford F-150
Fulltimer
Yes
Got a small tear in our Diamond Shield, probably from a small rock hitting it. Got in touch with Diamond Shield through Newmar to talk replacement. They want $275 to replace it.

That’s not much but there are wiser folks on here than me. What would you do? Eat it and have that piece of the Diamond Shield replaced? Fix it yourself (please provide details)? Argue with them about warranty? Something else?

0BB047AE-C14A-481C-8F61-24FE123C6317.jpeg

0CC3B905-8DE1-4E4F-9884-0569D3361A52.jpeg

This is where Newmar shines. Be patient. When you go to Newmar for warranty work point this out to them. You'll probably be surprised when they say "We'll take care of it for you."

For those of us that are out of warranty or will be unlikely to be at Newmar is there a way to do a reasonable repair on small damaged areas of the shield?

Just put over the tear small piece of clear packing tape. I have a tear about 1” long. It does not bother me none ?.

Ok, so I have a bit of experience with these "invisi-shields" of sorts. I've put them on NUMEROUS vehicles; ranging from sports cars, trucks, even off-road motorcycle headlights!

This stuff can be BRUTALLY expensive. I've paid up to $700 to have a full treatment across the front of my Raptor. It's big, has a lot of small cut-outs around headlights, and includes the mirrors. So, when you say $275, yeah...doesn't sound to bad.

Heck, I paid stupid money (like $40) JUST for a skin to by put across the "plate" area of the DS, which isn't done at Newmar.

So...if you need to have a replacement, there are a LOT of shops that will do it for you, using various products...under many different names. You can pick whichever thickness and texture suits your budget.

In your case, as mine, the damaged section is down low. So, ONLY that lower section needs to be replaced! This will save a ton of money. Frankly, I'm very disappointed in how thin and fragile the DiamondShield is. I've had a LOT better stuff put on my vehicles, and haven't had a single tear YET..despite having a huge ROCK hurled at my Corvette, which hit the thickest skin right behind my wheels. All that happened was the skin got a 3-point pull to it, and was easily replaced.

@CaptainGizmo what was the a lot better stuff? I’m figuring I’ll see if Newmar does what others say they’re likely to do and if not, we’ll it’s still $275 to replace just that section, which is exactly what they said they’d do.

I was wondering if there is a temporary patch of some sort to protect the paint in that spot in the mean time.

I have some issues with the Diamond Shield on my warranty list for September. Not happy at all with the way it was installed, not cut right and dirt has gotten under a lot of the edges. Plus lower edge is completely unsealed, picture included. Didn’t have anything like this on the 2017. Will see how much they fix.
54F8F132-97D0-4945-8731-A0B7063C5217.jpeg

@NWIP - that looks like one terrible install!

I had a clear bra installed on my Porsche and there were two vendors of the material to choose from, I went with 3M. I'm guessing for the 2020's Nemwar chose a not so great brand, or the installer isn't doing the job right. It is a fine art and has to be done right or you'll have a disaster and if moisture gets under it then you'll get growth (algae?) and it will be a disaster in time.

@MapNerd I suggest not thinking it's a rock and just tell Newmar it's coming up from the bottom and let them replace it (or handle it) otherwise you're going to make a case for them to charge you for this. Too much coincidence with @NWIP for same model year.

This is why I fear getting a newer coach when the one you have is just fine. Ugh!

@CaptainGizmo what was the a lot better stuff? I’m figuring I’ll see if Newmar does what others say they’re likely to do and if not, we’ll it’s still $275 to replace just that section, which is exactly what they said they’d do.

I was wondering if there is a temporary patch of some sort to protect the paint in that spot in the mean time.

The latest I've had installed, is called XPEL, and was $800...gulp.

My installer continues to keep up on the best films that last the longest, and have the best warranty. 3M Invisi-shield "used to be" the only game in town. Now, not so much.

Latest resources

Back