RJP50

RVF Newbee
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Bay Star
RV Length
We are planning a trip with our 37 foot class A to the Smokey Mountains and would like to optimize on fall foliage. I am aware that elevation is a huge factor in when the foliage turns. I was thinking of possibly a week or so on the east side of the mountains and a week or so on the west side, does this make sense? If so, which campgrounds or general locations as well as time of the month would you recommend to have fall foliage and nice views where we are camping? We don’t need luxury campgrounds but would like full hookups with good cell coverage for streaming.

If you are looking at near Asheville, check out Campfire Lodgings. It is on the middle of the mountains and we watched a thunderstorm below us last time we were there.

Not to far from the Biltmore and a beautiful view from where is is on the side of the smokies.

The road up is interesting but doable at less than 10 mph 😀

We live about 2 hrs west of the Smokies. Typically the Fall peak colors are mid-October. Depending on rain or no rain, along with seasonal temperatures, that target can move 2 weeks one way or the other.

Since this is a very/extremely popular time of the year, the reservations may be difficult to get. And expensive too. We generally stay at one of the National Park campgrounds and book at least 6 mos in advance. Even then, I watch for cancellations online on a daily basis and will pounce on any that are more to our liking as to time and location. Book one and cancel one. Just pay the cancellation fee. Sometimes I'll check twice a day as things change. I have a Senior pass and my wife has a Senior pass. Thus I can use one and then the other. It is a game to play if one wants optimum time and location.

National parks typically do not have full hookups and many aren't in an area with cell service. My motto is, if you brought it with you, you have it available. If you didn't bring it, well then expect to do without. After all, where can one stay for $10 per night?

Most all Tennessee state parks have full hookups and WiFi for a few $$ more but have discounts for Seniors. We typically pay $22 to $32 per night.

We avoid commercial campgrounds.

Bob

We live about 2 hrs west of the Smokies. Typically the Fall peak colors are mid-October. Depending on rain or no rain, along with seasonal temperatures, that target can move 2 weeks one way or the other.

Since this is a very/extremely popular time of the year, the reservations may be difficult to get. And expensive too. We generally stay at one of the National Park campgrounds and book at least 6 mos in advance. Even then, I watch for cancellations online on a daily basis and will pounce on any that are more to our liking as to time and location. Book one and cancel one. Just pay the cancellation fee. Sometimes I'll check twice a day as things change. I have a Senior pass and my wife has a Senior pass. Thus I can use one and then the other. It is a game to play if one wants optimum time and location.

National parks typically do not have full hookups and many aren't in an area with cell service. My motto is, if you brought it with you, you have it available. If you didn't bring it, well then expect to do without. After all, where can one stay for $10 per night?

Most all Tennessee state parks have full hookups and WiFi for a few $$ more but have discounts for Seniors. We typically pay $22 to $32 per night.

We avoid commercial campgrounds.

Bob
Greetings Bob;

Good information. Thanks. So how busy is the area early to mid September? I can't book yet as our trip planning is still undergoing changes and our drive to get there is quite a distance. We will start our trip from Western Alberta Canada.

Darrell

Greetings Bob;

Good information. Thanks. So how busy is the area early to mid September? I can't book yet as our trip planning is still undergoing changes and our drive to get there is quite a distance. We will start our trip from Western Alberta Canada.

Darrell
The Smoky Mountain National park has the highest visitor count of any national park in the country. In just looking at the reservation site, the availability for Sept and Oct has not been released. One is allowed to make reservations for up to 6 mos in advance. So figure out the dates and campground you want to camp and back up 6 months and start looking for availability. They go fast.

You may want to look at some Tennessee State Parks as well. They have electricity and water at most all sites and dump stations. Also with WiFi at most. They too get very busy that time of year.

Bob

Latest resources

Back