Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh hah - I must have missed it earlier. You are considering using the sun to heat the hydronic system. I assumed (incorrectly) you were using solar electric panels, storing the electric, then using that electric to heat.
From an efficiency perspective, totally agree that using solar heat collectors vs solar electric collectors is more efficient.
Still not sure that hydronic would be a good idea, high risk of leaks over time and lost space.

Ahh hah - I must have missed it earlier. You are considering using the sun to heat the hydronic system. I assumed (incorrectly) you were using solar electric panels, storing the electric, then using that electric to heat.
From an efficiency perspective, totally agree that using solar heat collectors vs solar electric collectors is more efficient.
Still not sure that hydronic would be a good idea, high risk of leaks over time and lost space.

So I'll spill the beans!

This revival came about because I want my porch/greenhouse heated to avoid freezing(heated beds).

Water because, a leak is easier to clean up than oils would be!

The mass can be dumped for travel, though the original design used phase changing materials to save space!

Because comfort can be increased, my plan is a dry radiant installation, in the form of mats on the floor to heat my feet where I spend my time while indoors. As I write this the thermometer tells me it's 56 degrees, and I am fine with that, and the heater is off, that's what jackets are for.

With the PV I have, I have more comfort than many people I know and I do that without choking on generator fumes.

For the most part I travel for comfort, and find I burn less resources than those that stay put and try to make their environment liveable!!

All in all, I live considering my impact on mother earth. This requires me, to make sure promises of earth friendly, are not smoke and mirrors.

And don't worry about water damage, because everything will be visible for inspection!

I'm mulling a travel trailer towed by a Ford f150 hybrid that has a built in generator/lithium ion battery to run AC overnight when needed, plus the 200 watt panels that come standard with many TTs for trickle charging the house batteries.

Attachments

• F_150_PowerBoost_Graphic_1_1.pdf
    371.7 KB · Views: 7
So your saying they are putting 200 watt panels standard on travel trailers nowadays? Take the time to verify that!

Yes Kevin, They are putting tiny little systems on campers quite a bit now and telling people all sorts of things they can do with them. A couple of companies even put enough on to actually charge a battery in direct sunlight. It is a direct marketing approach to people that think it must work, everyone is doing it....right?

I had 200 watts worth of panels that came on my Swift LI. Can barely make enough power to keep up with a 12v refrigerator while bringing the 48v LI battery from 92% to 100% on a full sunny day. They sell it like you can light up a small town

Yes Kevin, They are putting tiny little systems on campers quite a bit now and telling people all sorts of things they can do with them. A couple of companies even put enough on to actually charge a battery in direct sunlight. It is a direct marketing approach to people that think it must work, everyone is doing it....right?
Didn't think 200w, thought more like 100w

I had 200 watts worth of panels that came on my Swift LI. Can barely make enough power to keep up with a 12v refrigerator while bringing the 48v LI battery from 92% to 100% on a full sunny day. They sell it like you can light up a small town
Well, as I say it takes 500w to call it a system! But what do I know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back