Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
Radiant heat is much more difficult then just heating water and circulating it. Transfer rates, temps, and other factors make it tricky.
I get it! Kind of like putting 500 watts of solar on the roof, and expecting to heat or cool your RV! It can help but to do the job right it requires more engineering!

Point is it is just a matter of knowing the limitations, and adjusting your expectations. We aren't planning a product, just wanting to increase comfort!!!

As an example, installing 1.5 Sq. Meters of collector would be less than using a space heater for the same 5 hours of useful heat collection. It would help, but hardly do the job! Then there is the temperature difference of the heat exchanger(solar collector), that determines the actual energy collected.

But there are other advantages to covering your roof! Yes shade! That is a summer time advantage, that could help keep temperatures lower in the summer.

Thank you for stretching this conversation to a subject matter that, those that can't visualize electron flow, can follow! No matter how far off topic this seems to have strayed, one can see the physics is similar to the original topic!!!

What company uses propane for floor heat? 99% of floor heating is electric.
Well Newmar may disagree with you. Isn't the oasis system floor heat?

Newmar floor heat is electric. The Oasis is for Hot water and standard heating. I think only one manufacturer was dumb enough to do a hydro floor heat system.

Many homes in the North have hydronic systems with water heated by gas, wood, diesel(home heating), and solar, and coal.

Many homes in the North have hydronic systems with water heated by gas, wood, diesel(home heating), and solar, and coal.
Well, I was under the impression that this is an rv forum and this was an rv discussion. That's what this thread was discussing but I am knowledgeable in all types of residential floor heating systems. I have built the electric radiant floor heat into my personal home when I built it. I have also built a 62 story luxury residential building where every bath on every floor had radiant electrical heating. In the properties I have been involved in personally, hydro floor heat was not a good choice. But it does have its place, but never in an rv

Well, I was under the impression that this is an rv forum and this was an rv discussion. That's what this thread was discussing but I am knowledgeable in all types of residential floor heating systems. I have built the electric radiant floor heat into my personal home when I built it. I have also built a 62 story luxury residential building where every bath on every floor had radiant electrical heating. In the properties I have been involved in personally, hydro floor heat was not a good choice. But it does have its place, but never in an rv
So never is a strong word! Care to enlighten?? Why and what do you expect out of them?

I get it this sight is about disinformation, but your experience may be helpful!

You are confusing radiant heat as only being hydronic. Radiant heat can be hydronic, or electric.

Hydronic is basically a series of tubes carrying hot water in a looped system. I would not want a series of looped water carrying tubes in a mobile vehicle. Secondly, hydronic heated floors take up more space, the thickness of the tube will raise the thickness of the floor where electric radiant heat is a thin mat with wiring inside that creates the heat. It would be impossible to put hydronic radiant heat into slide out systems. Also, with hydronic based radiant heated floors you will have a massive amount of tubing that has to be terminated into manifolds, more real estate is required for these systems. They have their place is residential and commercial but the bulk of floor heating used today in residences and apartments is electric radiant heat

Because hydronic is basically a series of tubes carrying hot water in a looped system. I would not want a series of looped water carrying tubes in a mobile vehicle. Secondly, hydronic heated floors take up more space, the thickness of the tube will raise the thickness of the floor where electric radiant heat is a thin mat with wiring inside that creates the heat. It would be impossible to put hydronic radiant heat into slide out systems. Also, with hydronic based radiant heated floors you will have a massive amount of tubing that has to be terminated into manifolds, more real estate is required for these systems. They have their place is residential and commercial but the bulk of floor heating used today in residences and apartments is electric radiant heat
Ok! That was more useful!

However it comes down to intent, and the options available come back to hydronic! And yes I consulted a retired professional who did to their rig what I am considering for mine. He didn't consider doing the slides, and I don't have any!

I have done electric heat systems also, and I would consider them only usable with deep pockets or cheap electricity. No one in the NE would consider electric anything. Many fell for that scam back in the late 70's and 80's only to find that the amount of electricity used would make your meter spin off the wall. Might work fine in Fla. to take the chill off or make the floor feel warm, but not gonna work where you need some heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back