• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Solar panel selection

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I recently added a Grape 190W panel for $218 and a Renogy 100W panel that cost $104 Much cheaper than the Zamp panels with the same output and same durability. I bought the feet separately and AMsolar sells some for different panel frames, 35mm or 40mm. I already had two Zamp 100W Obsidian panels and they provide no advantages over the Renogy panels that cost a fourth as much.

It helps in terms of output to have the panels elevated above the roof for some amount of cooling of the cells. How much above the roof is subjective. In addition to the size of wire used it is also worth keeping the runs as short as possible. The poor installation job done by the people at the Winnebago factory put one Zamp panel to far to the rear and so need to be moved and the installer used the Zamp kit wiring and did not shorten the cable so I had and extra 8 to 12 feet of cable from the panels to the roof cap from the panels.

I do highly recommend the people at Amsolar that go out of their way to work with their customers. Another good source for solar items is RV Solar Store. A great installer for any RV is www.Offthegridrvs.com which is also a Lithionics lithium phosphate battery dealer located in Parker AZ.

Ok @Calsun you have two different panels as far as wattage goes. You had more than one installer install them.

I failed to see a question.

But I have one. How many controllers do you have installed and of what type?

Because you have three panel brands what are the voc and mpt on the different panels?

Oops,just noticed I was reading page 2

I need a second opinion from the electrical gurus:
Friend just gave me a nice solar panel. I did some tests, and it puts out 24V and about 0.5 Amps (think that makes 1A at 12V ?)
We boon-dock for a day or two at Harvest Host couple times in a year. My thinking is:
If I connect it directly to my 8 battery bank without charge controller, there is no chance to do any damage? Am I missing something?
It is just experimental. Not hoping to relay on it for much power :)
Thanks.

Friend just gave me a nice solar panel. I did some tests, and it puts out 24V and about 0.5 Amps (think that makes 1A at 12V ?)
We boon-dock for a day or two at Harvest Host couple times in a year. My thinking is:
If I connect it directly to my 8 battery bank without charge controller, there is no chance to do any damage? Am I missing something?
Thanks.
What are the specs on the solar panel? How many Watts?

I'm not the expert here, I defer to others such as @Chuggs but it seems to me you have a small panel and the effort it would take to connect it up will defeat the benefit. Not worth it to me.

What are the specs on the solar panel? How many Watts?

I'm not the expert here, I defer to others such as @Chuggs but it seems to me you have a small panel and the effort it would take to connect it up will defeat the benefit. Not worth it to me.
There is no spec. labels of any kind, I think it is MotoMaster Eliminator Solar Panel 15W / 1A. I told you it is experimental. I may replace the small ugly one on the front cap Newmar stuck in there? Not expecting to run my AC on it :)

The small panel Newmar installs typically is for chassis batteries, not house.

Again, level of effort far exceeds any gains. That small voltage will do nothing for the house batteries and the loss you'll get down the wires probably defeats it too.

With that said, I'm not sure I'll do solar on my next coach UNLESS it's stored without power. That is the one benefit. I have not seen a good ROI on solar to date other than when I was initially in a storage lot without power and I didn't want to be emptying and loading the frig each trip. If there is another coach in my future that will likely signal fulltiming and solar will not be needed. The GEN's in these coaches are great and under utilized IMHO.

Thanks.
I would be concerned connecting a 24V source to a 12V battery. The panel wants to deliver 24V. Seems you need something to step down to 12V.

You would also want a breaker of some type between the panel and battery. If the panel or wire shorts then this would cause battery to short. Not a good scenario.

I would be concerned connecting a 24V source to a 12V battery. The panel wants to deliver 24V. Seems you need something to step down to 12V.

You would also want a breaker of some type between the panel and battery. If the panel or wire shorts then this would cause battery to short. Not a good scenario.
I was trying to save The Planet, but you guys ruined it. My other option is The Aptera. We already put $100 to reserve production number. No kidding. But it is not towable
aptera-hero_asphalt-doors-closed.jpeg

Latest resources

Back