Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Solar panels / charger doing what it is supposed to?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I'm just throwing my opinion out here, with no knowledge of your system to support me.

In pic 2, I see a "Charger 1", "Standby", with a soft "Settings" key, and a "Charger 2" "Standby", with a soft "Settings"key. Have you reviewed the settings? Might there be a setting that tells the charger(s) a desired % of charge to flip into standby mode?
Pic 4, (the lithium screen), has a line for "desired charge", with no data following it. Might this be a clue to support my previous query?

The previously mentioned -40 temp indicator is troubling. Something is getting a false/erroneous reading, be it the input from the sensor, or the display itself. (Let's hope it's the sensor.)

Roger

Has anybody figured out how to tell what their solar converter / charger is really doing? Is there a config setting somewhere I can inspect / change? To me it is acting like it thinks it is connected to AGM or Lead Acid Batteries as opposed to Lithium from the factory. Since the voltage stays up there over 13.4V as opposed to dropping over time, it is like the charger thinks the batteries just need a trickle float/maintain vs sending actual bulk charge to them. I've looked in Newgle, but the supporting docs for the Xantrex C-Series Solar Charger don't really say much.
Had to re-read all this to come up to speed this morning. I’d start with a multi-meter and locate the charge controller and test the voltage on the input and output sides (in full sun) and go from there. This sounds like a settings problem as your control panels seem to disagree with each other (and then there’s the -40° thing). Is there a functioning tech line for this stuff? I can understand how you’d miss your Victron system.

My guess is the -40 is the to cold to charge setting. If that is a back end setting, that needs to be set to 32 deg F. (Freezing)
An air switch is a breaker/switch. There should be one between panels and controller.
Sometimes a controller will fail to start when changing settings when it sees panels and no system voltage. I am not familiar with your controller. Send me a link to the controller PDF. I will look at it.

What confuses me would be the start charge voltage of the battery. My experience says controllers are to smart to be used with lithium. They need to see voltage from the batteries before they select a system voltage. That does not function well when the BMS shuts down the battery because of low state of charge.

Spent more time studying the pictures.

The C-40 DVM is a display.
The legend at the bottom of display indicates full charge.

Your master control says the chargers are in standby.
I can only assume that one of those chargers is the solar chargers. That assumption leads me to see if the settings button offers an answer.

For the record C-40 DVM is not a number that comes up on the company website. DVM in most cases means digital voltage meter, and the display clearly indicates display. So what solar controller do you have?

Still troubling to me is the standby settings on the master controller (I know! It has a coveted name, but it is just a controller), don't confuse the issue with a name that is manufacturer specific, I always say!!! That is the kind of thing that drives up the cost of service. Just saying!!!

Looks like the photograph I took of the solar controller/charger the other day in the basement came out blurred. I will have to take another one to read the model number off again as it is mounted opposite of the two Xantrex 120V inverter/chargers (yes, the 50A rig comes with 2 Xantrex inverter/chargers + a solar converter charger). The settings visible in pic two appear to be for each of the inverter/chargers vs the solar controller charger.

Have support tickets in to both Newmar and Xantrex. Curious what they come back with. Will keep you all updated with how it sorts out.

Thanks for the advice / pointers.

Best,
-Mark

Here are pics of the solar controller in the basement of the RV. Looking through all the specs and documentation me thinks they installed a lead acid / nicad device at the factory vs something that supports lithium (which was also factory installed). Still waiting on a response from Newmar and Xantrex tech support...

Attachments

• 20230601_061045.jpg
    20230601_061045.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • 20230601_061123.jpg
    20230601_061123.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • 20230601_061216.jpg
    20230601_061216.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9
Really!!! I had pulled up the number and didn't want to believe what came up! But yes, it was correct. The dmv is wrong it should be pwm. This is definitely not a cccv charging power supply. It is the cheapest solar charge controller on the market. The lithium BMS sees the full voltage of the panel, chopped to average a 12v charging voltage. This controller needs a battery or capacitor to smooth the output voltage.
What this tells me is the company that installed it should not be risking their customers lives with dangerous lithium products.

Sorry for the rant but I'm being honest!!!

Got an update from Newmar support on the phone today. Very friendly. Long story short they are still consulting with their engineers and will get back to me.

I have to admit I've been tempted to just buy the correct MPPT charger for lithium and swap it out myself this weekend in just a few minutes, but given this is only my second major new rig gremlins experience with Newmar, I am currious how it plays out given I can use my generator as plan B for a trip or two.

Also wondering if I just happened to get the lucky rig set up this way or if everybody shipped this build configuration from them actually has this same issue and may not even realize it. Fingers crossed!

Best,
-Mark

Would be surprised if they made the mistake of putting in a model that does not support lithium…. Or that a model is still available.

Got an update from Newmar support on the phone today. Very friendly. Long story short they are still consulting with their engineers and will get back to me.

I have to admit I've been tempted to just buy the correct MPPT charger for lithium and swap it out myself this weekend in just a few minutes, but given this is only my second major new rig gremlins experience with Newmar, I am currious how it plays out given I can use my generator as plan B for a trip or two.

Also wondering if I just happened to get the lucky rig set up this way or if everybody shipped this build configuration from them actually has this same issue and may not even realize it. Fingers crossed!

Best,
-Mark
I'm sorry! I would have done better if I had spent more time rereading the original post! I did that now.
When I saw pwm on the controller, I assumed that you bought a used rig! Point is I would tell a friend never take his toys back to the shade tree mechanic that did that install, ever!!! Improperly charging a lithium battery is very dangerous!

I tell you that they are not consulting the engineer. The component selection, says no engineer was involved with the design.

I hate pointing that out, especially here, but in 2023 this is not something new.

Thank you for posting this issue. And all the potential solutions.
We have ordered a 2024 DS and decided to skip a Factory Solar panel install. Thankfully that appears to be the correct decision.

We did however order 960 Lithium battery package. Hopefully they have the correct BIM/BIRD installed so there is no charging chassis battery issues.

Hope you get your issues resolved. If you need Professional help you might try Future Solutions in Elkhart. They do very nice Solar installs and can sort your issues quickly.

You might negotiate with Newmar to pay for the fix.

I've had success in the past having Third party repairs covered under warranty with new coaches.

Latest resources

Back