Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Solar panels / charger doing what it is supposed to?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Not a Newmar but I have three factory solar panels installed on my 2021 Tiffin 33 AA. I was getting weird readings, and messages saying charge full or something like that for the first 8 months of ownership. I did have a separate solar panel manual that came with the coach. I don't think the panels ever truly connected to the controller correctly. Finally some one at the dealership figured it out and they replaced my controller. Problem finally solved.

HH

I gave up waiting for Newmar support to respond beyond "our engineers are still looking at it." Last night I ordered a Victron SmartSolar MPPT 150/70-TR on Amazon and to my surprise it showed up this morning!

Spent a couple hours swapping out the Xantrex C60 (which is designed for lead acid and Nicad, not lithium) and I NOW HAVE WORKING SOLAR CHARGING!

I changed its settings via the Victron bluetooth app as per the recommendations made by Lithionics (makers of the lithium iron phosphate house batteries Newmar also installed at the factory).

One mod I made was I added a circuit breaker as per U.L. rules between the solar panel wires and the charge controller so I could turn off and isolate the panels anytime I may want or need to.

Given the impropper solar controller was installed at the factory I will update the post if/when I get a response...

My word of caution if your new Newmar has both the lithium and solar options on the build sheet: verify the solar charge controller they used is actually meant for lithium...

Best,
-Mark

Attachments

• 20230611_125137.jpg
    20230611_125137.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • 20230611_152136.jpg
    20230611_152136.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20230611_152255.jpg
    Screenshot_20230611_152255.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 7
Unbelievable. I hope they reimburse you in some way…

I gave up waiting for Newmar support to respond beyond "our engineers are still looking at it." Last night I ordered a Victron SmartSolar MPPT 150/70-TR on Amazon and to my surprise it showed up this morning!

Spent a couple hours swapping out the Xantrex C60 (which is designed for lead acid and Nicad, not lithium) and I NOW HAVE WORKING SOLAR CHARGING!

I changed its settings via the Victron bluetooth app as per the recommendations made by Lithionics (makers of the lithium iron phosphate house batteries Newmar also installed at the factory).

One mod I made was I added a circuit breaker as per U.L. rules between the solar panel wires and the charge controller so I could turn off and isolate the panels anytime I may want or need to.

Given the impropper solar controller was installed at the factory I will update the post if/when I get a response...

My word of caution if your new Newmar has both the lithium and solar options on the build sheet: verify the solar charge controller they used is actually meant for lithium...

Best,
-Mark
Huge improvement - quality, dependable controller, and the ability to monitor via blue tooth. Nice install too. It would be nice to get Newmar to compensate, at least the cost of the OE controller (probably a lot less than the new Victron) but now it‘s done right and thats the most important thing.

We had a Victron charge controller in our RV. Very nice equipment and easy to use. The Bluetooth features make it very convenient.

Last night I ordered a Victron SmartSolar MPPT 150/70-TR on Amazon and to my surprise it showed up this morning!

Glad you got this working!

I hate asking this knowing you bought something already but how did you choose this one over others? Several of us here use the 150/100 Tr which means a 100 AMP current cap where yours is 70 AMP. I can pull in 100A from my panels. 70 AMP should be fine too but just wonder if sizing larger for capacity is something to consider?

Amazon product ASIN B08LBVYTXD

Glad you got this working!

I hate asking this knowing you bought something already but how did you choose this one over others? Several of us here use the 150/100 Tr which means a 100 AMP current cap where yours is 70 AMP. I can pull in 100A from my panels. 70 AMP should be fine too but just wonder if sizing larger for capacity is something to consider?

Amazon product ASIN B08LBVYTXD
Thanks! I sized it larger based on knowing I'll want to add a 3rd Lithionics battery and additional solar at a later date (I may even replace the 4 flexible 100W GoPower panels that came from the factory someday as they just are not as good as glass panels). I wanted to make sure I had headroom to grow into. At this time I've altered the 150/100 Tr settings to lower the cap.

Best,
-Mark

You said you bought the /70 which is not larger than the one I have and linked.

You said you bought the /70 which is not larger than the one I have and linked.
Ah, sorry. I missed that. I sized it based on the panels / load I expect to grow into vs. going "all in" as I don't boondock for days on end (a day or two tops). Part of my reasoning was also based on the sizing of the wires Newmar ran from the roof to the bay. Yes, I could rewire everything up top to be in series vs parallel (the factory tied all of them together in parallel) or series/parallel, but...
You'll see my 4 100W GoPower panels were sending only ~18A in full afternoon sun and only ~21A to the batteries.

I may regret not going to /100 someday, but it should cover me for the next few years.

Best,
-Mark

Latest resources

Back