RVF VIP
RV Year
RV Make
Cougar
RV Length
28'
Fulltimer
No
I've got a 330 watt solar system. Everything was working fine until a couple of days ago. I lost all power from the panels. I started wringing out the wiring and found no power. I Googled it and found that by resetting the controller it might cure the problem but no luck. Is there an in-line fuse of some sort that would cause this? I have searched with no luck.

Depending how panels are installed there could be fuses at each panel. There could be a fuse between panels and the controller, and a fuse after the controller before the batteries.

Have you checked for power output from each panel with a multimeter while the panels are exposed to sunlight? If the charge controller is not a high expense item, I'd simply replace it. What output voltage class are these panels? 24 volt or 48 volt? A 48 volt controller is considerably more expensive than for 24 volts.

Rick

I'll check the controller for voltage but of course it's in a place I have to crawl into and take a mirror and light to read anything.

I'll check the controller for voltage but of course it's in a place I have to crawl into and take a mirror and light to read anything
Have you checked for power output from each panel with a multimeter while the panels are exposed to sunlight? If the charge controller is not a high expense item, I'd simply replace it. What output voltage class are these panels? 24 volt or 48 volt? A 48 volt controller is considerably more expensive than for 24 volts.

Rick
I have no power from the panels into the control. Wouldn't that rule out a controller problem?

If installed correctly there would be at minimum a disconnect for the panel. However many people cut corners.

The panels have plugs, and that is where I would look for voltage. The connectors have been known to come loose. .

Follow the wires to find the break away switch/fuse. Check for voltage there.

You said there is no voltage going into the controller, so do panels fail? Yes they do! If you have flexible panels, there is a high failure rate!

If you do have power going into the controller, and nothing, or less than system voltage ("nothing" is more common with lithium), you may have to jump start the battery.

A controller must have system voltage +- or it may refuse to start. This data is in the controller manual.

Hope that covers everything!!!

If installed correctly there would be at minimum a disconnect for the panel. However many people cut corners.

The panels have plugs, and that is where I would look for voltage. The connectors have been known to come loose. .

Follow the wires to find the break away switch/fuse. Check for voltage there.

You said there is no voltage going into the controller, so do panels fail? Yes they do! If you have flexible panels, there is a high failure rate!

If you do have power going into the controller, and nothing, or less than system voltage ("nothing" is more common with lithium), you may have to jump start the battery.

A controller must have system voltage +- or it may refuse to start. This data is in the controller manual.

Hope that covers everything!!!
Thanks. I purchased this 2023 eclipse attitude new last June. Big disappointment ! I will start at the panels and work out. They are solid panels. I received very little documentation with this trailer so most of the defects I've been dealing with I gain info. From the internet.
Thanks again.

There should be a breaker or at least a disconnect between the panels and the controller. That doesnt mean your system has one but its worth a look.

Latest resources

Back