Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
Ours is only correct 75% of the time, I study a map the night before

Get a truckers atlas. You can go where they go. Are you updating your maps frequently? I myself have learned the hard way you cannot completely rely on a gps without verifying. Just like parks that are big rig friendly. Far from the truth.

Agreed, The electronic maps must be updated regularly.
Most trips by now cover known territory, at least the Interstate portion. The last "mile" is where the issues arise other than major road closing and traffic delays.
Typically planning trips is done over weeks if not months ahead. Final true ups a couple of days in advance. Recently the planning for the trip north had a routing change. Instead of picking up RT75 outside of Orlando, we are taking I-95 up to Savanna then I-16 over to I-75, then on to Chattanooga. Then I24 North to I 65, etc.
This route has significant elevation changes across the hills in TN but this time in the Fall should not have frozen precip issues. Taking I-75 north is an easier routing, longer, but worried about storm damage of camping options and roadway. Also, relief traffic routing on I-75 in NC.

Last edited:
Besides the natural disruptions (solar flares, etc.), I've had the Navy turn off my GPS a few times. We can't put all our eggs into one basket. Paper MAPS are a valuable tool on the road. But they can't warn of road conditions 🤔

Agreed, The electronic maps must be updated regularly.
Most trips by now cover known territory, at least the Interstate portion. The last "mile" is where the issues arise other than major road closing and traffic delays.
Typically planning trips is done over weeks if not months ahead. Final true ups a couple of days in advance. Recently the planning for the trip north had a routing change. Instead of picking up RT75 outside of Orlando, we are taking I-95 up to Savanna then I-16 over to I-75, then on to Chattanooga. Then I24 North to I 65, etc.
This route has significant elevation changes across the hills in TN but this time in the Fall should not have frozen precip issues. Taking I-75 north is an easier routing, longer, but worried about storm damage of camping options and roadway. Also, relief traffic routing on I-75 in NC.
I 40 not good now so I go I 95-> I 26 -> I77 -> I 64 -> I 75 -> I 74 loop around Indianapolis and up 31. Avoids most cities, especially Atlanta.

Also, could go up 35 from I 64 to 33 to 30, if you want a break from interstates

Is the construction in and around I77 Charlotte complete? Should be by now. A number of years ago we went that way all to be stuck in construction in Charlotte. Haven't been back but should be done by now.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back