Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Wow...you have a Multiplus.

It just needs to be wired in properly

1) solar converter output goes to batteries...and you do not disconnect it under normal circumstances.

2) Multiplus needs to be wired with two inputs...12VDC from the battery bank, thru a catastrofic safety fuse...and 120VAC supplied by a 30A branch circuit off your main distribution panel. The 120VDC power from the multiplus enters a new subpanel via a 30A breaker. And the branch circuits you want to be anle to run off grid...outlets for cpap, tv, microwave, residential fridge...get their breakers...line and neutral leads moved onto the new subpanel.

The converter in the multiplus is programmable and is a very good charger. It can work in parallel to your solar...you shouldn't have to disconnect anything.

The original converter can be disabled...and leave it as a backup if you want in case the multiplus charger quits... otherwise...you could remove that extra converter.

You'll be up and running with the subpanel setup...but to go to the next level...I would add a Victron Smartshunt500...and swap tha charge controller for a Victron SmartSolar controller. They link together and you can control everything using Victron Connect and /or CCGX display, or Venus GX or Cerbo GX. You already have the Multiplus...I would stick with Victron for the other components as well.

Well...the solar should have disconnects...but you should only have to disconnect the solar If removing the batteries for maintenance. The solar system should be wired to the batteries...and operate regardless of how you are managing the rest of the rv's electrical circuitry. It is a battery charging device...it should always remain connected...and it will do it's job when the sun hits the panels.

The Inverter setup is a work around...and it works, and has saved you money...but requires additional jockeying by switching plugs and disabling converter, etc...

There are a couple of ways to skip all that...but they require an upgrade to your scheme. The output from the inverter gets fed to a new sub panel and you no longer plug the shore cord into an inverter powered receptacle. The circuits you plan to use off grid get moved from your main panel to the sub panel. The converter remains on the original main panel...it doesn't recieve power from the inverter...so you do not have to disconnect. To save energy, when connected to shore power...you can add an auto transfer switch that automatically connects to shore power if present...and if not...connects to the inverter output. The transfer switch powers the inverter subpanel.

In lieu of the auto transfer switch...you could remove the inverter and converter you have...and replace them with an all-in-one unit. They have the transfer switch and converter built-in. Magnum MS2812 or MSH3012...or a Victron Multiplus. These are more expensive systems but have all those automatic features that work without you having to manipulate anything.
What we have is a Victron Multiplus. He said he didn't realize it was a multiplus until he had already wired in everything else.

You'll be up and running with the subpanel setup...but to go to the next level...I would add a Victron Smartshunt500...and swap tha charge controller for a Victron SmartSolar controller. They link together and you can control everything using Victron Connect and /or CCGX display, or Venus GX or Cerbo GX. You already have the Multiplus...I would stick with Victron for the other components as well.
Awesome! That is definitely not something we feel comfortable doing ourselves. We're currently in Iowa and heading to GA in a few days. Any suggestions on a good installer?

Awesome! That is definitely not something we feel comfortable doing ourselves. We're currently in Iowa and heading to GA in a few days. Any suggestions on a good installer?
Sorry... Hopefully someone watching has an idea. National Indoor RV Center has a great reputation...but I'm not sure the scope of projects they normally would do.

I went with fuses...but the Catastrophic fuse on the Battery side I used a 125A fuse to protect the 2awg wire from the Victron SmartSolar MPPT150/100-tr charge controller. On the pv feed...I have a 60A fuse protecting my 6awg feed cables. The black switch can disconnect the PV input, and the red switch disconnects the battery.
I have only turned the sokar off once in the past three years...when I removed all my batteries to clean the tray, and remove corrosion from the terminals.

Attachments

• 20170409_195338.jpg
    20170409_195338.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • 20170407_083740.jpg
    20170407_083740.jpg
    534.8 KB · Views: 10
Sadly, it sounds like you are the victim of a poorly done install. Unless you are much more experienced with solar systems than it appears, I strongly suggest that you find an experienced technician with RV solar experience and have the install redone--correctly this time. Sorry you are going through all this.

TJ

Sadly, it sounds like you are the victim of a poorly done install. Unless you are much more experienced with solar systems than it appears, I strongly suggest that you find an experienced technician with RV solar experience and have the install redone--correctly this time. Sorry you are going through all this.

TJ
I agree. Even Andre said the installer didn't realize it was the Multiplus "until he had everything else wired". That tells me he was just too lazy or cheap to go back and do it right once he realized his mistake. You got hosed brother. Hope you can find someone to straighten it out for you at a reasonable cost.

I would not say hosed. I would say you had an adventure. You have the components of a good system, just needs a little TLC to make it right, it is not a total loss, the components are value added so better than had the installer gone cheap.

Latest resources

Back