• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Sometimes Better To Keep Your Trap Shut

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
@TJ&LadyDi - Happy camper says to use a full scoop...and has a warning about not using more than a single scoop.

I have saved a large Gatorade bottle, as its mouth is a wide opening, and it still fills easily from the bathroom sink. I add 1/2-3/4 scoop of the mix to the bottle, and fill it with water and shake it vigorously. I then add this mixture to a full toilet and flush it down, and do another fill flush. Sometimes you see some hardened residue if you don't get a good mixture. I think that 1/2 scoop is plenty in most cases.

For the gray tank, I fill the kitchen sink with water, and do the same premix in the Gatorade bottle.

I have never had a problem with smells from any of my tanks, and always use proper tank procedures, so the only thing I think happy camper is doing for me is scrubbing the sidewalls, and loosening any of the gunk that is stuck along the bottom/sides that the sensors may or may not be seeing.

Last week my black tank was not showing less than 5% after a full drain, so I did the procedure and let it sit for 6 hours before flushing it. It returned to 0 without doing a tank rinse...so I felt like it did something.

We have used Happy Camper for almost 15 years and have never had an odor problem. For the black tank we fill both macerator bowls with water, add the Happy Camper and use the toilet brush to clean the toilet and then flush. This seems to do a great job of cleaning the bowl and the the brush. On a trip, the DW treats the grey maybe once a week or so and always before storing the coach for any length at all.

Also a happy camper using Happy Camper. I use the @TJ&LadyDi method as I’d learned about the product from another post they made where they explained their process. @redbaron’s idea of letting it simmer also sounds a way to get a better clean.

I am/was curious if he was connected as I was parked next to someone at a rally, dry camping, and noticed dripping from the wet bay. Their gray valve was open. It was treated as a mistake then I later realize it may have been intentional to slow drain the grey into the grass.

He had a stinky-slinky ran to the in-ground sewer inlet Neal. I just wonder if he even knew which lever was for which holding tank. When he pulled out of his site I just happened to be outside and observed that both valves were closed as he moved, which was good to see.

I've been looking and have not found what I am looking for. Is there a thread on how to dump your tanks? New to RV'ing and have never done this before.

I've been looking and have not found what I am looking for. Is there a thread on how to dump your tanks? New to RV'ing and have never done this before.

Search youtube - dumping RV tanks

I usually flush the tanks (fill about 1/3 and empty at the end of a trip, It helps clean out the hose. I usually add Dawn Dish soap to both tanks with 1/3 full of water and let it slosh around on the way home for extra cleaning. And I don't even do #2 in there unless it is an emergency.

AND NEVER, EVER, EVER walk away from your bay while you are flushing a tank. You will forget and your tank will overflow into the RV and you will not be a happy camper.

Ask me how I found out.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back