• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Soul crushing mishap

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I agree. I am a mechanic by trade and can say it would kill me to scrap this thing because it runs so damn good. The power train still has 100k left in it with good maintenance and upkeep. I will do my best to keep the group here updated on progress. I just have to figure which repair option works best for my situation. My driveway may end up looking like a shipyard for awhile but…

Kind of late to the game here, but sorry to hear about your troubles especially on your maiden trip.

I know you believe the big commercial vehicle caused your "used" roof to come off, but it was probably ready to come off when the first gust of wind over 60mpg hit. Water intrusion on roofs, sidewalls, and slides can cause a lot of damage to RVs that are 4 and 5 years old, let alone a unit that is over 25 years old.

If it was me I would fix the roof as cheaply as possible. I would find a local seasonal campground to park it in during the summer months, but I certainly would not trust it traveling across country. I suspect this will be just the beginning of many things that will need re-done in this older unit.

That is the biggest problem I see, cost of materials and being able to access the roof to do the repairs and keep rain out in the meantime. I am a construction/tradesman guy and the repairs would be easy, but having a large building to get it in and getting up there to work are things most don't have....Watch a bunch of videos on repairing roofs.

My 2018 Winnebago travel trailer has a rubber roof. They seem to be a popular option. If you are capable, you could investigate installing it yourself. But I would at least get a quote on a rubber roof. Scrapping the RV seems a bit drastic, but let the costs be your guide. Replacement cost will be high if you want to buy a different RV. What you paid is not relevant (sunk cost), but what the alternative options for replacement or repair is the only consideration. Good luck!

My two cents. Before you get up on the roof, put a stiff legg or two under it. Simply a 2x4 measured the proper length with a short one on top and bottom. On the top put a pillow or something of the sort to protect the inside ceiling. Get it to fit snug but not beat it into place snug. This is not rocket science but if you fall thru the roof while working on it it could become bad really fast, for YOU.
As for as rubber as a way to go, that would be my choice

Latest resources

Back