Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
360 Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Fulltimer
No
We have started to plan for Alaska in 2025 and I cannot imagine going without a spare tire. Any thoughts there? Only place I can see to put it on our 3407 is the roof of the coach. Has anyone done this. Perhaps some foam or rubber with tire on top and tied back to valance brackets. Other option is put on roof the the jeep. Thanks for the help

Some folks find room in the basement compartments….

I wouldn't put anything on the roof of your MH, Jeep maybe, does it have a roof rack?

Depending on your toad, I carried two around in the back of my Colorado until I could get the RettroBand install. Not ideal but an option.

We did Alaska in 2018. 40ft Dutch Star. We did not carry a spare and did not even come close to feeling we needed one. The roads were not as bad as feared. Just take your time and slow down for frost heaves. I’ve driven on much worse roads across the U.S.

I've always wondered how well these work. e-trailer even has some videos and pics with large motorhome tires on their site. Looks like it comes in both 2" and 2.5" hitch receiver options: https://www.etrailer.com/Spare-Tire-Carrier/Roadmaster/RM-195225.html

Q&A with a pic on an Allegro Breeze: https://www.etrailer.com/question-336680.html

Best,
-Mark
I have the Roadmaster spare tire carrier and it does exactly what it's supposed to. It also gives me piece of mind having a spare with us. The challenge was to also have a towed vehicle. Here is what my setup looks like and, yes, I ran it by roadmaster and as long as I bought and installed their anti-rattle devices (you can see them at each joint), they approved the setup. It works great. Just make sure to have your receiver inspected and if necessary beefed up. The carrier weighs 70 lbs and a mounted spare tire weighs 150lbs.
Spare tire/Tow setup deployed
Complete tow rig.jpg

Tow bar stowed
WP_20180408_15_08_24_Pro.jpg

Th
I have the Roadmaster spare tire carrier and it does exactly what it's supposed to. It also gives me piece of mind having a spare with us. The challenge was to also have a towed vehicle. Here is what my setup looks like and, yes, I ran it by roadmaster and as long as I bought and installed their anti-rattle devices (you can see them at each joint), they approved the setup. It works great. Just make sure to have your receiver inspected and if necessary beefed up. The carrier weighs 70 lbs and a mounted spare tire weighs 150lbs.
Spare tire/Tow setup deployed
View attachment 24156

Tow bar stowed
View attachment 24157
Thank you for posting this!!! Today I question hoisting 150 lbs to waist level, let alone onto a towd roof!!!

I have used grease on plywood to get a bus tire in place! Wonder exactly what a spare would do for me if I actually needed it!!!

Just saying!!!

I would have to guess either front or rear to carry one spare. Different sizes so to actually be prepared I’d have to take one of each.

Don’t think the Jeep Cherokee roof rack would like two of these tires on top 😊

Thanks for the responses. I would carry without a rim if on roof of rig or jeep. I like the Roadmaster hitch assembly but wonder if that would cause a problem with the Ventana rear radiator?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back