RVF Regular
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star 4326
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
20' Intech Enclosed Trailer / 2013 Subaru Outback / 2005 Chevrolet SSR/ BMW K1600B/ HD Road King CVO
I would like to purchase a stacker trailer to use with my Dutch Star. I currently use a 20" Intech Enclosed trailer and have been very happy. However, I would like to haul my BMW K1600B and possibly a golf cart. My question is does the 9.0L Cummins @ 450 HP have enough power to pull a 20' stacker?

Lots of experience on this board, I appreciate your comments in advance....

I pull a F150 behind mine and it definitely knows it's there, I'd be concerned since you would most be likely a good bit north of 10K towing and about a 15K rating for everything. You might not be at the limit but you can easily see it from there.

Get with NIRVC over in Lewisville, they can probably help you out.

My first stacker trailer was a 28', I pulled it with a 45' Optima Freightliner. It was powered by a 450hp Mercedes. I was fine on the highway but it did struggle in the hills. I just never got in a hurry. Both my coaches since then have all been equipped with big HP. My Beaver Marquis had a C-15 Cat turned up to 650hp. My current King Aire has 625 Cummings pulling a 30' stacker. I think you will be fine just remember hills and fuel mileage will not make you very happy but hey its all about the journey right. Now to the one point you want to rethink, the hitch on your coach. I have had both my hitches welded in and re-engineered to be 30,000 lb hitches. My Freightliner was 40k. Most RV hitches are rated somewhere in the 10k to 20k range and they bolt in on the back of the frame rail horns. With a loaded stacker you will quickly push the limits of a standard hitch and you will be exceeding most receivers and balls. if you want to be safe have those thing upgraded first and you should have no problems in your travels.
my last rig rolled the scales at 77,000 lbs loaded
56990404_2342219105796519_8930810839020077056_o.jpg

That sure is a nice-looking combo! Thanks for posting the photo. And, you raise a very valid point about the hitch rating and the need to upgrade it for heavy towing.

TJ

My first stacker trailer was a 28', I pulled it with a 45' Optima Freightliner. It was powered by a 450hp Mercedes. I was fine on the highway but it did struggle in the hills. I just never got in a hurry. Both my coaches since then have all been equipped with big HP. My Beaver Marquis had a C-15 Cat turned up to 650hp. My current King Aire has 625 Cummings pulling a 30' stacker. I think you will be fine just remember hills and fuel mileage will not make you very happy but hey its all about the journey right. Now to the one point you want to rethink, the hitch on your coach. I have had both my hitches welded in and re-engineered to be 30,000 lb hitches. My Freightliner was 40k. Most RV hitches are rated somewhere in the 10k to 20k range and they bolt in on the back of the frame rail horns. With a loaded stacker you will quickly push the limits of a standard hitch and you will be exceeding most receivers and balls. if you want to be safe have those thing upgraded first and you should have no problems in your travels.
my last rig rolled the scales at 77,000 lbs loadedView attachment 893
Beautiful Rig. Thank you for your reply, you bring a lot of issues to the table.

94004.jpg23.jpg

Here are two different 2 5\16 balls. They both look the same. The one on the right is a normal Reese brand $12 get it from the auto parts store ball. It is only rated to carry a total GTW (gross trailer weight) of 5,000 lbs. That's less than the F150 many RVers tow behind their rigs.
The ball to the left is also 2 5\16 but is rated to carry 30,000 lbs. You wont find that ball at your local pep boys.
The same ratings exist with hitch mounts. Most mounts sold at the auto parts store is a 5000 lb GTW. You will pay a premium to get a 30,000 lb hitch mount. Just been my observations over the years

Do you have a source for or link to the 30K-pound ball, Dave.

TJ

Here is where I get all my stuff done.
4007 E. Main Street
Mesa, Arizona 85205

Contact
P: 480-832-0570

Here is where I get all my stuff done.
4007 E. Main Street
Mesa, Arizona 85205

Contact
P: 480-832-0570
Thanks, Dave. Good information.