• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Tip Starting the engine before raising the jacks

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Of course it was assumed that anyone with a “brain” would know that the bags must be filled. Obviously I did not communicate properly. The conversation was concerning the jacks, and that was the assumed the bags would be full. Glad to have made your day for your “No Brainer”.

Of course it was assumed that anyone with a “brain” would know that the bags must be filled. Obviously I did not communicate properly. The conversation was concerning the jacks, and that was the assumed the bags would be full. Glad to have made your day for your “No Brainer”.
I don’t think he was trying to offend you. Just a common phrase. It’s a no brainer to my wife to load the dishwasher a certain way, which I never have or probably will do. Meanwhile, it’s a no brainer to me to not open a bag of chips like you’re a raccoon, yet this is how my wife does it.

I follow what Newmar techs instructed. Arival: sildes out then jacks down. Departure: air up, jacks up then slides in.

Safe travels.

My jacks don’t work if my engine isn’t on. Problem solved!
Do your jacks work in the accessory position? Turn key counter clockwise?

Do your jacks work in the accessory position? Turn key counter clockwise?
Nope! I have to leave the engine running when I pull into a spot, hook up electric, let the slides out, then drop the jacks, then turn off the engine.

I have tried ACC position several times and I get nothing on the jacks. I assumed Newmar wired it that way to strongly encourage me to be on air when putting the slides out.

Not that I have any skin in this game anymore, but with our 2017 4369 we did it like Mapnerd, except I didn't leave the engine running to put slides in and out. Always made sure my air gauges showed good air before coming off jacks though.

Sir,

You took offense because you thought my reply was to YOU...and it wasn't. You're not the OP, or else I would have QUOTED YOU, to avoid the mistake you just made.

I'm sorry you took offense to my no-brainer comment. Obviously, like @MapNerd said, you're not familiar with a term I've used forever to indicate that something is VERY EASY for me to answer. It had nothing to do with you or your comment, so please relax.

My reply was in line with the OP's question...and therefore is perfectly relevant.

Sorry for your confusion.

BTW, another big reason I failed to mention is that these heavy electric motors, such as for the hydraulic jacks, as well as the slides, demand a LOT from the inverter/batteries. For that reason, Newmar's (and others) common practice is to have the main engine OR the generator running.

Nope! I have to leave the engine running when I pull into a spot, hook up electric, let the slides out, then drop the jacks, then turn off the engine.

I have tried ACC position several times and I get nothing on the jacks. I assumed Newmar wired it that way to strongly encourage me to be on air when putting the slides out.

Yeah, Neal and John...the jacks on my rig were locked out unless the key was in the IGN position (clockwise). Didn't have to have the engine running, but the key had to be in that position.

My jacks work with the engine off or running in either ACC or IGN position. However none of my slides will work in either direction with the engine running. It amazing how many different combinations there are for these two systems.

My jacks work with the engine off or running in either ACC or IGN position. However none of my slides will work in either direction with the engine running. It amazing how many different combinations there are for these two systems.
Standards. Who needs em?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back