• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Tip Starting the engine before raising the jacks

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
@MapNerd I think you'd get cool points if you started extending the jacks when pulling into your site. Jus'sayin...

They suggested starting the engine before raising the jacks.
Spartan also recommends this and it has helped me a great deal along my travels. Sometimes when sitting a bit, the secondary sit tank can get real low and so if you lift jacks first, you may have issues airing up. By leaving jacks down, you give the secondary air tank time to fill. The alarm is annoying, but it does make a difference.

Yes I do. I just wished Freightliner was on the same page. Newmar has changed the sequence but Freightliner does not agree. One builds the chassis. One builds the house.
FL is not in conflict with Newmar. You leave jacks down to give the secondary air tank time to build up pressure, then when airs up, raise jacks. You will lose some air so let it build again. Turn off motor and bring slides in.

FL is not in conflict with Newmar. You leave jacks down to give the secondary air tank time to build up pressure, then when airs up, raise jacks. You will lose some air so let it build again. Turn off motor and bring slides in.
The conflict that I was referring to was the sequence for jacks then slides vs slides then jacks. FL still recommends jacks first. Since my last conversation with FL I have been starting the engine with the jacks down to build up the pressure. I was in the coach again this weekend and it worked like a charm.

Good discussion that all can learn from. Thanks for sharing.

I guess I'm confused as to why FL would have input to jack use. When I toured the FL factory I didn't see any jacks installed on any FL chassis. My understanding is Newmar installs the HWH system and jacks on the chassis. HWH will tell you Newmar put the jacks on if you go to them. HWH works on their components, they will not modify the system as installed by Newmar. I state this based on a traveling partner having issues with his coach height after leveling and him going to HWH faculty, questioning HWH on system operation and jack placement. I could be wrong but confident I didn't see jacks on FL chassis at the factory.

Last edited:
The conflict that I was referring to was the sequence for jacks then slides vs slides then jacks. FL still recommends jacks first. Since my last conversation with FL I have been starting the engine with the jacks down to build up the pressure. I was in the coach again this weekend and it worked like a charm.
Ah gotcha. Well, I like to air up with jacks down, but I'm not bringing my slides in til I'm aired up like Newmar taught me at CPU.

Yikes.

Not sure if any of you are getting confused or what, but...

The jacks are HYDRAULIC and have nothing to do with air.

The primary reason to start the engine while using jacks or slides is because of the current drain the hydraulic pump motors place on the batteries.

It seems some of you are mixing the two systems. The reason of running the engine to inflate the airbags is simply because the air compressor runs off the engine and will replenish the tanks faster after the airbags use the air to refill themselves to get back to ride height.

Yes it's all very confusing. It's good to know WHO installs the HWH. I did not know that.

So .... when ready to leave the campground. 1.start engine (if possible) to fill air tanks. 2. raise the jacks (HWH). 3. wait for the coach to rise (full airbags). 4. bring in the slides. 5. disconnect shore power. Live happily ever after. :) I got it.

It seems some of you are mixing the two systems. The reason of running the engine to inflate the airbags is simply because the air compressor runs off the engine and will replenish the tanks faster after the airbags use the air to refill themselves to get back to ride height.
Well, I used to have problems airing up. The gauges would say I had the correct pressure, but when I did a visual check, I was not aired up. Spartan maintains that by leaving the jacks down while airing up, it helps the secondary air tank fill especially if you have been sitting for a bit. I don't know all the mechanics, but Spartan does instruct people to air up with jacks down and I can verify that it has eliminated my airing up issues.

EDIT: At the beginning when I was having issues with airing up, Spartan would also instruct me to cycle through the jacks. I don't really get the connection, but evidently there is one. I know that when I raise my jacks while my engine is running, I watch the gauges and can feel the air pressure decrease in both tanks. But I am curious now why there is a connection. Will call Spartan to inquire and post response.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back