• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Staying in driveway

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
We have spent many nights in the parking lot of our sons business when we go home.

You really only need access to 3 things for your RV.

1. Electricity: Many ways to skin this cat. You said you had a 50amp trailer.

Ideally you would plug into a 50amp RV plug your BIL had installed for you. You might need an extension for this. This way you can run everything you need/want w/o issue.

A 30amp plug Simple, you need a 50 to 30 dog bone. Now you have a max of 30amps available. You’re now in what I call the OR mode. You can run 1 air conditioner or the other or a hair dryer or the electric water heater and so on.

A 15 or 20amp plug same as above but most likely not the air conditioner. You’ll need another dog bone.

Get a generator see everything above Plus they need fuel and they are loud.

2. Fresh Water

Again, ideally you can hookup to a faucet. You might need an extra hose or two. We carry 150 feet of hose and have used all of it a time or two.

You have some sort of storage tank just fill it up and live off of it. Learn/teach conservation.

3. Waste water

Again, ideally your BIL has setup a full hookup parking space for you to use. Not likely

You have a grey and black tank, conserve all the tanks fresh, grey and black make them last for the week.

Get a macerator. We have a Flojet if I ever need to replace it we’ll get a Sanicon 300 and 100’ of ¾” water hose. This works but you need to find a cleanout or a toilet. Then you need to stand there and manage the end of the hose.

After staying at our son’s business off and on for a couple of years we decided it was too much hassle and started using a nearby full hookup RV Park. I had always given him about $20 a day to offset expenses and hassle.

We have all the equipment as we boondock several times a year still, but it’s only a few days at a time and a 10K generator in the MH makes a huge difference.

Thanks DKRITTER. Lots of great info here.

Thanks to all for the input.

I would be careful using a dryer outlet. Some old codes have 3 wires, L1, L2, and ground. The newer ones, new code, have 4 wires, thus L1, L2, Neutral, and Ground. The dryer in both cases is 240 volts but the 4-wire system has a neutral in addition to the ground. This is much safer if one uses an unbalanced load between L1 and L2.

Everything in your RV is 120 volts, thus the likelihood of an unbalanced load is quite high.

Bob

Latest resources

Back