Forest River
RV Model
Wildcat Fifth-wheel
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2019 Ford F-250.
Fulltimer
Yes
My brother in law has invited us to stay in his driveway for a week while visiting. We have a 50amp 5th wheel. What would he need to do or what would I need to buy (dog bone etc.). To give us electricity for AC, to charge the batteries etc.
I’m not an electrician or very tech so simple languages please.

Unless he has a RV connection you will only be able to plug into a standard wall plug. Depending on his wiring that will only give you 15 or 20 amps. You can purchase an adapter to get you down to this size but be aware that you will only be able to run your charger and maybe your fridge if you
have a residential one.

Depends on your brothers house

Depends on your brothers house
Ok let me explain!

My brother's house has a dryer outlet in the garage. A dryer wip and handy box + a RV receptical was all that was needed.

No not 50 but enough when conservative!

A 15/20 amp to 50 amp dog bone should be OK for AC, nothing else though.

A 15/20 amp to 50 amp dog bone should be OK for AC, nothing else though.
Depending on the draw and size of your ac it could melt the connection on the adapter as I did mine running one ac, but it was the 15k btu on. It usually the starting that gets you. I decided to put soft starts on both of my ac’s.
I can run the smaller one, but litterly cannot run anything else.

I do want to say, my brother had a homemade adapter where it had 2 110 inputs and a 50amp connection output. The idea was to plug each 110 input on sepperate circuits from the house.
He used it and I guess it worked.

My brother in law has invited us to stay in his driveway for a week while visiting. We have a 50amp 5th wheel. What would he need to do or what would I need to buy (dog bone etc.). To give us electricity for AC, to charge the batteries etc.
We plug into the house clothes drier socket. This works for us but we have a long 50 amp extension cord.

Darrell

It sounds like you are set if you can get a dog bone adapter for 50 - 30 for the dryer plug (verify plug type so you get correct adapter) you should be fine. Before I installed my 50 amp plug at my house I used a 10 gauge extension cord in a 20 amp outlet with adapter. I was able to run one AC unit and both fridges and whatever I needed inside without issue. I ran this way for several years.

We have stayed at a few campgrounds where only 30 amp was available. In our 2019 HR 35K we could run everything except the second roof AC. The 30 amp would handle one at a time. Our residential frig would never work enough to make ice in the driveway. Probably lost enough juice down the long cord. Does he or you have a portable generator with a 30 amp receptacle?
Ken

We have stayed at a few campgrounds where only 30 amp was available. In our 2019 HR 35K we could run everything except the second roof AC. The 30 amp would handle one at a time. Our residential frig would never work enough to make ice in the driveway. Probably lost enough juice down the long cord. Does he or you have a portable generator with a 30 amp receptacle?
Ken
No generator but our refrigerator is just a Norcold 12 amp. Plus, if necessary we can use his house refrigerator.

Latest resources

Back