Steer Tire Blowout

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
So glad everyone is ok...

We just got rid of our Michelins after I saw this on my front tire after coming out of the Mountains of NC. last October. I have Toyo's now and RetroBands... I feel very lucky. They had 27,000 miles on them.

Tire bulge 2.jpg

Keep us posted.

Had the same on My MH until I started putting inner tubes in the tires. Then they quit making inner tubes. That's why I like nitrogen!

That is quite a story. We also had a blowout yesterday. Drivers side tag. It also took out both radiators and damaged the fender well. Waited 6 hours for tow on a bridge. Dangerous situation. We don’t have coach net. We have AAA RV plus which did the same thing and we’re negotiating price. Ended up being towed to a freightliner in Missoula where we sit. Have already shelled out $2100 and that’s just for the tow. Probably are going to have to have radiators ordered. Good news is we’re OK.hope you recover soon.

That is quite a story. We also had a blowout yesterday. Drivers side tag. It also took out both radiators and damaged the fender well. Waited 6 hours for tow on a bridge. Dangerous situation. We don’t have coach net. We have AAA RV plus which did the same thing and we’re negotiating price. Ended up being towed to a freightliner in Missoula where we sit. Have already shelled out $2100 and that’s just for the tow. Probably are going to have to have radiators ordered. Good news is we’re OK.hope you recover soon.
Curious of brand and age of tire….

In post #35 of @Scotttkd2 ‘s blowout saga ( Yet another tire blowout ) I detailed how I armored the front left compartment to prevent the same issue happening to me. This looks like it makes a good case for armoring the drivers side rear at least enough to protect the radiator(s). I’m also going to do the door side front as I read about blowout that took out the steps causing access problems.

Michelin tires six years old
We were at about 7 when we found the bubble in my tire, so I guess 6-7 years is about the limit regardless of mileage.

I have been a Michelin fan for years, and am still for my car, but am happy with the Toyos I have now. Will see what the next 6-7 years go.
Thanks.

Update: let me just start off by saying that I state Freightliner in Missoula is never where you want to be. Their shop was not very busy, but they were in no hurry to fix the situation. I found a radiator shop while they were twiddling their fingers. I had them take out the radiator and we took it to the shop where they determined they could fix it enough for me to get home. After three days, I state put it back on and it sat waiting for an AC condenser to arrive from Spartan. While it sat no one tested the radiator until the condenser came in then they found a small leak in the radiator and didn’t want to put the condenser on until they had put a glass sealer over that which had to dry for 24 hours , they did that twice. That couldn’t have been done while waiting for the part is beyond me. There is no communication in the service department. We had to call each day to see what was going on after 12 days in a hotel. I had had enough and said we are coming over and getting the coach you’ve got till 5 o’clock and it better be ready. The bill was $6000. For what? They took out the radiator. They put the radiator back in and put the AC condenser on sprayed the leaks twice with a glass spray. Other than that the coach sat in their bay for seven days without any work. I was really taken to the cleaners but what can you do?

Update: let me just start off by saying that I state Freightliner in Missoula is never where you want to be. Their shop was not very busy, but they were in no hurry to fix the situation. I found a radiator shop while they were twiddling their fingers. I had them take out the radiator and we took it to the shop where they determined they could fix it enough for me to get home. After three days, I state put it back on and it sat waiting for an AC condenser to arrive from Spartan. While it sat no one tested the radiator until the condenser came in then they found a small leak in the radiator and didn’t want to put the condenser on until they had put a glass sealer over that which had to dry for 24 hours , they did that twice. That couldn’t have been done while waiting for the part is beyond me. There is no communication in the service department. We had to call each day to see what was going on after 12 days in a hotel. I had had enough and said we are coming over and getting the coach you’ve got till 5 o’clock and it better be ready. The bill was $6000. For what? They took out the radiator. They put the radiator back in and put the AC condenser on sprayed the leaks twice with a glass spray. Other than that the coach sat in their bay for seven days without any work. I was really taken to the cleaners but what can you do?
What I did was contact the owner of the shop in Nebraska where I had a similar dilemma (they own 6 or 7 Freightliner shops in the region). My situation was not quite as bad, but close. Seven days in a hotel and it still wasn't fixed. I told the company owner exactly what happened vs my expectations.

I started at the lowest level - the shop manager where the work was (or wasn’t) done, but got nowhere with him. The owner of the chain took a different view and refunded all the labor cost. If I didn’t get satisfaction there, I was going to leave a detailed description here: Dealer Service Survey | Freightliner Chassis Bus There’s no excuse for that kind of service even if they prefer not to work on motorhomes.

If that link doesnt work, try this https://www.fcccbus.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/FCCC-Dealer-Service-Survey-Form.pdf

I-State has 13 locations so you can definitely go over the Missoula shop manager’s head and talk to upper management as I did with Floyds in Sidney. Certainly worth a try.

Latest resources

Back