• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Storage Door - Latches - The dreaded cable latch issue

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
All - Finally had some time to spend on replacing this latch. But, I don't seem to have the correct sized star drive to losen the screws holding it to the door. Does anyone know the correct size so I can get it and get this done. Mine is slightly to small, or way to big. Are their metric Sized ones? Or are these not star drive headed screws? Any info would be appreciated.

I get up early around 5-6 am, so that’s how it started. Did not want to wake up the neighbors if needed something from the basement, or had to dump the tanks ?
This did not work on the propane door. I could not push hard enough to get it to catch. I will have to have them show me how to adjust the latches at my next mother ship visit.

If you have a Newmar: Get your 7/16 wrench or socket, and loosen the two bolts holding the U part attached to the outside door frame. Tap it outward about 1/8” at the time, until the door latches easier. Than tighten the bolts.

Neal-All - Ordering the bits tonight, plus some other stuff either out of or nearly so. Thank you for the informaiton in the link. I copied it to Word and then saved that in my Manuals/Storage Door information. This forum rocks.

Neal-All - Ordering the bits tonight, plus some other stuff either out of or nearly so. Thank you for the informaiton in the link. I copied it to Word and then saved that in my Manuals/Storage Door information. This forum rocks.
@Neal got it right! They are not “star-drive” screws, (though they look like they are) but, instead, are “#2 double-square drive.” None of the star-drive bits will fit them very well. The double-square fits perfectly, at least in our coach. A standard #2 square-drive bit will also for them properly.

TJ

Now, why did not newmar tell me this when ordering the part. If it was not for this forum, I would have tried and tried to find the correct star drive, to no avail. Thank you all again.

I don't seem to have the correct sized star drive to losen the screws holding it to the door. Does anyone know the correct size
My DS has Torx on some screws for the basement door latches and square on others. The Torx they used is a larger than 15, but smaller than 20. Try taking them out with a square.

Newmar Parts, $63.00 and change, should be here by Friday. Latch has some redesign, expensive part is the nylon support/guide thing. There is a left and right side part number.
I checked Newmar parts maybe four or five months ago.
The black plastic guide was $48.46. However, it is very poorly designed. It is as if they wanted it to break easily.
The "circle" latches were $12.

I purchased seven of the latches from www.WescoFastec.com
The latches are $4 each. Shipping for 2 through 7 was $10.00 so I purchased seven. At quantity eight the shipping jumped to $20.

#64291 (Their Part # - 20140-06) left door latch (basement doors on driver's side)
#64292 for right-hand, (Part # - 20141-06)
Mini-Rotary Latch $4

No idea for a different source for the plastic guides. $48.46 each for poorly designed versions can get expensive quickly. I did see someone on iRV2.com who made replacements out of aluminum. However, he hand made one and had his son use a milling machine to replicate that one.
50023302241_fbe193d8c3_c.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1753.jpg
    IMG_1753.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
The plasctic part according to newmar is not their part. They buy it from a person who has patent on it, and he sets price. That is why it is so expensive. We could band together and reverse engineer it, and then have it made out of glass filled nylon, which would strengthen it considerable, that would or might make it stronger, but it might be more brittle. It's been redesigned a bit according to the parts person I talked to, I don't see any difference. I was not aware of the latches being from another place. If I have another issue, I will order some extras. If I had band saw, could make template out of wood or something and then cut them out of pieces of plastic of some type. Lot of work for small part which might or might fail again. I guess a survey of "latch failures" might be in order to see what numbers we are talking about here. The plastic thing looks to have some machining on it, I am not sure if it's injected molded or not, I will inspect for parting line and other signs it was. They might be machined in jig by the hundreds or so.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back